Archinect
anchor

Need help with Interior Architecture decision

aneeshcarvalho

Hi guys,

I applied to 5 schools for Master's in Interior Architecture. As I have a Bachelor's degree in Architecture from India, I was able to apply to the Option II version of the programs.

I got accepted in:

Kansas State University (Master's in Interior Architecture and Product design - 3 years)

University of Oregon (Master's in Interior Architecture Track II - 2 years) 

School of the Art Institute of Chicago (Master's in Architecture with emphasis interior architecture - 2 years)

Drexel University (Master's in Interior Architecture - 2 years)

Pratt Institute (MS interior design - 2 years)

I am really torn between which school to choose. SAIC and Pratt are really expensive too and the cost will play a major role in my decision, but I need to know whether it's really worth the expense.

Thanks Guys.

Mar 4, 15 2:24 am
aneeshcarvalho

Which of these schools do you feel will be of the best value in terms of cost and getting a job after graduation?.

Thanks

Mar 4, 15 2:41 am  · 
 · 
Pixar

Which Uni did you graduate from, in India?

Mar 4, 15 8:08 am  · 
 · 
aneeshcarvalho

Pune University

Mar 4, 15 8:27 am  · 
 · 
DeTwan

Definitely not worth the money wherever you go...just putting off the inevitable. Do you want to be 30 by the time it is really time to work?  

Mar 4, 15 8:58 am  · 
 · 
aneeshcarvalho

Well... I really do want to do a concentrated education in Interior Architecture and work in the United States. Am only 24 right now, so by the time I graduate it will be another 2 years.. I think its' a good starting age. 

Mar 4, 15 9:06 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

it's called interior design.

Mar 4, 15 9:09 am  · 
 · 
DeTwan

Do you need to go to school to work in the US? There are many American kids that go to college at 17 or 18 and have a 5 year accredited degree by the age of 22. The older you get and don't actually have anything to put on your resume is the problem. I would just think that you would want to make money and have a job...the masters thing is just a waist of money, employers only really look at 'real world' work history...everyone has a college degree these days.

Mar 4, 15 9:13 am  · 
 · 
aneeshcarvalho

Yea, US employer's will obviously give jobs to a graduate from a US University rather than an Indian University. 

Mar 4, 15 9:21 am  · 
 · 
DeTwan

Well if you're going to spend the money, do so on a career path that actually presents a living wage after graduation. The architecture field is in disarray here in America, and most of the world it sounds. You don't know any India friends that have done what you are thinking of doing? So you could ask them what it is like. A number of my indian classmates had to go back to India after graduation b/c there was no jobs.

Mar 4, 15 9:28 am  · 
 · 
aneeshcarvalho

Ok.. Well, that was discouraging... But the stats that I got from the Unis show that 95% get employed with interior design practioners upon graduation, and even looking at the alumni of these schools, they all are employed. There are alot of Indians and other Asians among them as well. 

Thanks for you input though buddy. Much appreciated!

Mar 4, 15 10:10 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

Don't get discouraged, I came to the US at 38; if the Masters thing doesn't work, gain a lot of experience, try to work with an international firm, network with US expats where you live. Don't believe the hype, if you are good at what you do, those 22 year old look like breastfeeding babies.

Mar 4, 15 10:16 am  · 
 · 
aneeshcarvalho

@JLC-1 

Thanks buddy. But do you have any info on these programs? 

Mar 4, 15 11:00 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

I would go to Pratt or Oregon, better locations and networking with faculty.

Mar 4, 15 11:48 am  · 
 · 
mugged

I wouldn't be discourage by what others say on these threads either. A lot of the discouraging stuff you're going to hear is from people who are no longer in the profession, or dislike their jobs, feel like they got screwed along the way, etc... 

I can't speak about which programs are better. You should consider where you want to work after you're finished. If you want to work in NYC, Pratt or even Drexel would be a better choice over Oregon or KState. If you want to work in Chicago go to SAIC, etc.. That's not to say people can't get jobs outside of the region of their school (I went to school in the midwest and now work on the east coast). Contact the school and find out where graduates end up and stuff. 

I would also look at the course offerings and faculty and student and faculty work and see if its stuff you're interested in. The program at SAIC is going to be different from Pratt or Drexel. Just do a little research and figure out what your interests are and the right choice will probably become pretty apparent. 

Mar 4, 15 12:50 pm  · 
 · 
aneeshcarvalho

@mugged Thanks a lot. I am pretty interested in Oregon's program due to it's emphasis on Sustainabilty. I'll research more and see what I can dig up.

Much appreciated!

Mar 4, 15 12:59 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: