Archinect
anchor

Architecture Summer School 2015

codepanda

Hi! I'm currently doing a masters in computer science in France but after traveling around Asia and Europe, I'm seriously considering shifting to architecture. I've been looking at GSD's Career Discovery program, Columbia's Intro to Architecture, and SciArc's Making + Meaning program. My goal is to get a sense of how archi studio works and create a strong portfolio for my M.Arch application next year. To those who have attended one of these programs (or know someone who did), what are your thoughts and impressions in terms of the quality of work done by the students, the lectures, and the overall vibe in the school? Is one better than the other or is it a matter of whether the school's philosophy fits with what I what I want to do after?

Feb 27, 15 12:22 pm
jayve

I did New York/Paris at Columbia about 3 years ago. I think it's a great idea (if you can afford it!) to do one of those programs before making the jump. It allowed me to catch up on studio/design skills and also figure out where my interests lie in the field (which guided which Masters programs I applied to this year.) It will certainly help you create a stronger portfolio - I credit NYP partially to all my admissions success so far. Quality of work varied, and we were sometimes treated as 'lesser-than' grad students in terms of resources and respect, but if you're able to put your ego aside and soak everything up, it will be a great experience for you. As far as I know, all the programs you listed are viewed pretty favorably, and I would also look into Berkeley's summer program. Feel free to send me a private message if you have more questions. 

Feb 27, 15 6:36 pm  · 
 · 
chandni

I did the summer program at UC Berkeley - and it was a great way for me to test out whether or not I would want to go to graduate school. It was also very helpful in getting feedback for my portfolio and meeting faculty at the school. At other programs, graduate students are the main source of contact, while at the Berkeley program the faculty seemed to be heavily involved in the curriculum and were great resources while I was applying. The lecture series was pretty great as well since you were able to go to the architecture lecture, city planning, and landscape lectures. They encouraged a lot of inter disciplinary work which I found helpful as well. Hope that helps!

Mar 26, 15 4:34 pm  · 
 · 
Parth123

Hello,

really Nice Information.

thanks for share it here.

www.3d-architectural-rendering.com

Mar 27, 15 6:46 am  · 
 · 
Miss_Y2K

Have you decided which program you'll attend for this summer? I did Intro at Columbia last year and am going for Career Discovery this year.

It'd be nice to meet /get to know others who are attending CD before the school starts!

Apr 16, 15 11:28 am  · 
 · 
klausious

I just applied for the GSD's Discovery program, Intro to Arch at Columbia, Jumpstart at UCLA (even though I don't think I wanna go to this one), [IN]ARCH at UC Berkeley, and Making + Meaning at SCI-Arc. I'm also fresh out of undergrad school with zero experience in architecture. If anyone has any info on these programs that would be very helpful. Even though these summer programs are usually 5-6 weeks, I really want to go to a good one to get some real exposure to what architecture is like.

Apr 21, 15 4:55 am  · 
 · 
architect_hp

I'm also thinking of applying to these summer programs. Right now I'm filling out the application for UC Berkeley's IN ARCH program. Can anyone tell me how hard it is to get into one of these? What are my chances like?

Apr 21, 15 1:15 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: