Archinect
anchor

More insight about UNC Charlotte M.Arch 1, anyone?

Fountain

I read all the relevant threads on this board but didn't see much discussed about this program. Really looking to hear some more pros and/or cons in order to make decisions.

Me: BA (non-arch), international student

Desired career paths/interests: community planning, constructing methods, well-being facilities, historical preservation

Any idea will be deeply appreciated!:)

Feb 19, 15 11:35 pm
wtallen49

This is a bit late, but hopefully it's helpful to others...

I received B.Arch 2008 and M.Arch 2012 from UNC Charlotte. The school underwent quite a transformation during those years. Originally the academics were geared towards the more creative aspects of architecture like art and theory. As of late, it has focused more on technology and professional applications.

I admired UNCC and the faculty during the early years. It was inspiring and fostered a passionate class of designers. Sadly, I don't think it was sustainable as an academic model to focus solely on creativity and remain competitive against leading schools. It appears that UNCC currently targets research and technology.

The school prepares its graduates for the rapidly changing profession by adopting the latest software and providing facilities to explore computing and fabrication. If you take advantage of the amazing scholarship opportunities AND buddy up with some of the original/tenure professors, I know it would be a fulfilling experience.

First off, the wood shop is immaculate. It is kept in pristine condition, so be sure to respect it. All of the facilities are well maintained. When I attended, it seemed like we were buying new computers, laser cutters, 3d printers, plasma cutters, and large scale routers every year.

I really like the layout of Storrs (Studio) - Open studio bays, two floors with a balcony for grads and the pit for the first years. The faculty offices are easily accessible on the other side of the large salon atrium. All in all, it was an excellent student experience. 

UNCC greatly prepared me for the profession. I've worked in healthcare architecture for three years now making well more than the average intern salary. After I finish my exams, I'll use my design portfolio from school to obtain a more design focused career at a firm anywhere in the states. I'll admit, when I interviewed at one firm, I got the feeling some of the Cornell guys scoffed at me. You may run into that, but you get out what you put into an academic career in my opinion. I wouldn't base my decision solely on a name (saw this concern on another post). 

My recommendation would be to find those professors that encourage the creative exploration and make you question your designs. Take advantage of the awesome facilities and those who know the labs like the back of their hand. While you're there, be sure to explore the night life and neighborhoods all around Charlotte. If they offered a Doctorate, I'm sure I would apply. 

I wish you all the best!

Jul 25, 15 9:41 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: