Archinect
anchor

Impressive pedestrian oriented retail - on a sloped street?

spaceman spiff

Am doing some research on pedestrian oriented retail streets mixed with varying degrees of public space.  While I've come across a lot in my travels, I'm wondering if anyone knows of any examples that are on a sloped street.

These are examples of the type of retail environments/streets that i'm looking at: Third St in Santa Monica, the backstreets of Old Pasadena, Váci utca in Budapest, Nanluoguxiang in Beijing, Tianzifang in Shanghai, Takeshita Dori in Tokyo, etc.  The scale, texture, and granularity of these places may vary, but they all have strong commonalities.

Public space/street comparables would include woonerfs, Bell St in Seattle, Argyle St in Chicago, and other new generation curbless street environments.

To date, only Steep Hill in Lincoln, UK seems to jump out at me as being a very successful retail street that is sloped.  Two Rodeo in Beverly Hills has a slight artificial incline and might also be worth noting.

Any other examples of iconic or successful sloped retail streets to throw out there?  I'm looking at how feasible this might be, and am open to opinions too.

Jan 19, 15 6:48 am
null pointer

Beacon and Peekskill in New York.

Also check out Old San Juan in Puerto Rico.

All are pretty successful pedestrian retail streets mapped onto extremely uneven terrain.

Jan 19, 15 10:24 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Place Jacques Cartier in Montreal plus numerous streets in Quebec City.

Jan 19, 15 11:03 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: