Archinect
anchor

Waiting for grad school decisions..

archhopeful

Anyone else want to commiserate?

What are you doing to distract yourself from the wait?

Jan 15, 15 12:13 am
insomniarch

Good luck on the wait. It really is the worst part! But hey....there is a light at the end of the tunnel now.

Jan 15, 15 8:10 am  · 
 · 
sirhc

Which schools have you applied?

Jan 15, 15 9:21 am  · 
 · 
archhopeful

@insomniarch Hopefully there is a light! I suppose I'll find out come early March.

@sirhc GSD, Yale, GSAPP, PennDesign, Virginia, WashU, Miami. How about you?

This is a pretty funny forum conversation on awkward/unfortunate application stories: http://forum.thegradcafe.com/topic/40317-that-awkward-moment-when/

Jan 15, 15 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
DeTwan

The light? The light is more financial debt, hopefully someone is helping with the payments.

Also, employers in the architectural field don't care about your graduate college, most likely they will look at it as "this person wants more money for their job".

Real world experience trumps all those cards, so I hope you have some work history in this field to put on your resume.

A potential employer will always go for whom will churn more money for them. If you have no work history and a master's, they will chuckle and laugh, and say...

Jan 15, 15 1:17 pm  · 
 · 
DeTwan

Here I'll start it off.... "looks like this chump gave no fucks when determining what they wanted to do with their life, not one."

Jan 15, 15 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
Kell

Making some money, and working out while I wait. Thinking of learning some revit. 
Try to keep busy as much as possible so I dont think about it. 

Jan 15, 15 1:59 pm  · 
 · 
placebeyondthesplines

Miami? Wtf?

Jan 15, 15 3:55 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

What about Miami?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwBS6QGsH_4

Jan 15, 15 4:05 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

= a list of the most expensive arch. programs in the usa

Jan 15, 15 4:14 pm  · 
 · 
mwnnown

@archhopeful Has GSD received your gre score report yet? Mine was sent out before christmas, but the checklist says they are still "awaiting" the report.

Jan 15, 15 9:25 pm  · 
 · 
archhopeful

@dannydisg Yeah, mine says "received." I actually sent a second batch of GRE scores on January 2nd and even that report is listed as "received." Maybe you should call their offices tomorrow and check on that? :/

Jan 15, 15 10:02 pm  · 
 · 
sirhc

@archhopeful  My list is GSD, GSAPP, Princeton, MIT, Yale, U-Michigan, UCLA, UPenn. We have four overlapping schools! I'm MArch II, how about you?

@dannydisg I sent mine right before Thanksgiving, but I wasn't satisfied with my score so I took another on Dec. 13th and sent it right after the test although the deadline was 15th (I read a line that materials that are submitted after the deadline still have a chance of getting reviewed, just not guaranteed). Now it shows both of my scores. I'd just call them and ask.

Jan 15, 15 10:06 pm  · 
 · 
archhopeful

@sirhc I'm MArch I, I did Studio Art (architecture concentration) in undergrad at a liberal arts school. I realize I left Princeton off my list, so five overlapping! I'm hoping the wait isn't too bad...maybe we will see each other in the spring at one (or five!) of the schools (five would be so wonderful..wishful thinking.)

Jan 16, 15 10:07 am  · 
 · 
Scott Deisher

now that applications are out, would any of you folks care to share your portfolios? per the curiosity of a future M.Arch I applicant (applying a year from now)

Jan 16, 15 11:14 am  · 
 · 
mwnnown

@sirhc @archhopeful  Thanks guys... I just called.They received my report last week but forgot to update. Now I feel stupid for only applying for the GSD..... 

Jan 16, 15 12:50 pm  · 
 · 
archhopeful

@skdeish I would be happy to share after decisions come out! (I don't want to exclude the possibility of having to reapply next year..)

@dannydisg Don't sweat it too much. I know someone last year who applied only to the GSD and ended up getting quite a sizeable scholarship.

Jan 16, 15 1:40 pm  · 
 · 
ReneeLangley-Salai

Decisions usually don't come out until mid to late march!  Hang in there!  I was in your shoes last year and ended up being accepted at 2 of the 3 schools I applied to.  I ended up going to the one with the highest scholarship offer.  :P  Good Luck!

Jan 24, 15 6:24 pm  · 
 · 

Waiting for decisions is excruciating! I totally feel your pain. A friend of mine received an acceptance already, but everywhere I have applied says they inform applicants in mid to late March...seems so far away!

Feb 3, 15 6:15 pm  · 
 · 
pv1988

Wait is killing me too. Working out helps! Anybody trying to get their financial certificates in order? I was thinking of doing it after I hear about the decisions. Any advice here?

I am applying to schools around Houston - M.Arch II - Rice, University of Houston, UTSOA, TAMU. Any thoughts?

I stalked grad cafe to see decisions start pouring in the end of Feb, I hope that stays the same this year, can't wait till March end.

Feb 4, 15 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
archhopeful

@Laney Which school already sent out acceptances?! Of the ones I applied to I've seen (through thegradcafe.com) that one school sometimes tells the last few days of February and the rest are all about March 5-13.

@parimala What do you mean financial certificates? Just aid applications?

I keep logging into my applications hoping there will be news, even though I know that's not possible yet...I think that's the definition of insanity.

Feb 5, 15 8:19 pm  · 
 · 
mwnnown

“I keep logging into my applications hoping there will be news, even though I know that's not possible yet...I think that's the definition of insanity.” - same here.....

Feb 5, 15 9:59 pm  · 
 · 
pv1988

For international students studying in the US means getting an F-1 visa, which means I need the school to issue me an I-20. For an 1-20, I need to show a financial backing certificate which shows I can financially support my education. Anyone in the same situation?

Feb 6, 15 9:41 am  · 
 · 
loster

Yes, I am in the same situation.  CalPoly Pomona just asked me to send an financial affidavit. Problem is i am planning to go on a partial loan and partial sponsor basis and hence cannot show the affidavit before admission letter. 

Any idea on how to go about this situation? 

Feb 6, 15 9:53 am  · 
 · 
pv1988

@anjalir19 : check your inbox.

Feb 7, 15 10:14 am  · 
 · 

@archhopeful My friend received her acceptance from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute for their M.Arch II  Geofutures program.

I applied to more art schools, as I want to go into Industrial Design, and they all say the same thing- mid March. I keep checking my apps and e-mails too. Not knowing makes me so anxious!

Feb 15, 15 8:47 pm  · 
 · 
projecttocplane

Applicants this year seem awfully quiet..

Personality difference I guess.

Feb 15, 15 9:30 pm  · 
 · 
citizencities

@archhopeful @dannydisg were you able to login to your financial aid application for the GSD? It said "newly admitted students" can login with the e-mail they used to apply with and I was able to get access. Is this a sign??

Feb 15, 15 10:02 pm  · 
 · 

@citizencities Yes i was able to login, but i dont think it has anything to do with the admission decision. Try your spam folder if you use gmail, you should have received an email explaining the first time login process.

Feb 15, 15 10:07 pm  · 
 · 
citizencities

@Daniel I saw this email weeks ago and already made an account. Just noticed the change in instructions today and was still able to login. I'm pretty sure it used to say "For current applicants" [now changed to "For newly admitted students.."]. Although there is a chance my memory is failing me -- though I'm pretty good realizing visual differences in websites I constantly stalk lol ;)

Feb 15, 15 10:11 pm  · 
 · 
mwnnown

@ citizencities You mean here?

https://finaid.gsd.harvard.edu/NetPartner/NetPartnerStudent/Logon.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2fNetPartner%2fNetPartnerStudent

I hope you are right, coz I am really tired of waiting .......

Feb 15, 15 10:20 pm  · 
 · 
citizencities

@dannydisg I'm super tired of waiting too and anxious beyond belief. yes that's the correct link https://finaid.gsd.harvard.edu/NetPartner/NetPartnerStudent

The instructions for logging in say "For newly admitted students: your student ID will be the email address you provided on your application for admission." I was able to login myself and was wondering if others could as well (I completed the financial aid application before the deadline.)

I'm pretty sure it used to say "For current applicants..." beforehand. Are you able to login with your account (presuming you applied for financial aid)?

Feb 15, 15 10:27 pm  · 
 · 
archhopeful

@citizencities

I am able to login as well. I think I remember pre-deadline, the login page still only mentioned "newly admitted applicants" and "continuing students". BUT after logging in the webpage does look different than it did earlier...I feel like it's too soon to read into anything though. If they already had decisions wouldn't they just tell us?!

Feb 15, 15 10:33 pm  · 
 · 
archhopeful

Now you have me nervous/excited!!

Feb 15, 15 10:36 pm  · 
 · 
mwnnown

@citizencities  I dont know why the system keeps changing my username. Anyway, a former colleague of mine who applied for the DDes degree got notified by phone last Thursday. He told me that admission decisions for Master degrees should be sent out in two weeks.... 

Feb 15, 15 10:38 pm  · 
 · 
citizencities

@archhopeful

I agree, I think there used to be more text when logged in. Was this always stated after logging in as well?

"You will be able to access a number of different items througout the year wiht this portal."

Yes, they did had a typo, which is why I only noticed it this time around (didn't notice it before.) Also why would they state that we "will" have access "throughout the year"? Do you think they're being deliberate with their word choice? (I feel completely insane thinking about this right now by the way lol). 

At this point they've already made decisions. They might just be putting the finishing touches on financial aid now. If you know of other "clues" that might suggest potential admission let me know. Please feed my anxiety/insanity further lol

Feb 15, 15 10:40 pm  · 
 · 
citizencities

@dannydisg

Ahh! Two weeks! That's much sooner than I was expecting (3-4 weeks).

What do you mean the system keeps changing your username? 

Feb 15, 15 10:43 pm  · 
 · 
archhopeful

Well now all we need is someone to tell us they're unable to login...is that mean? It would do a lot to feed this insanity.

Feb 15, 15 10:46 pm  · 
 · 
citizencities

@archhopeful

I completely 100% understand what you mean, and I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking of the same thing lol

if you know anyone else who has applied for fin aid at the GSD, it wouldn't hurt asking! I wish I knew others because I think I would. I remember finding out I got into UCLA for college this way (getting access to the financial aid website before the actually decisions were e-mailed).

Feb 15, 15 10:49 pm  · 
 · 
mwnnown

@citizencities The forum is now giving me options to post as "Daniel Xu" or "dannydisg".....And yeah...two more weeks, we should be notified in the first tow weeks of March. 

Feb 15, 15 10:51 pm  · 
 · 
aparajita20

Has anyone here applied for Urban Design programs? Are the notifications for all programs released together or there's a sequence? Totally freaking out now. Yoga helps :)

Feb 15, 15 11:41 pm  · 
 · 
sirhc

Has anyone applied to U of Michigan Master of Science in Architecture program? I've applied to MSArch Digital Technologies and did an video interview. From the list, I know that they interviewed 18 of us this year. Any alumni or fellow applicants here? 

Feb 17, 15 3:11 pm  · 
 · 
kyuen87

Anyone got news from GSAPP yet???

Mar 5, 15 3:23 pm  · 
 · 
mariela_ortizperez

@kyuen87 I don't receive anything from GSAPP yet. :'( They are killing me!!! 

Mar 7, 15 12:11 am  · 
 · 
chicagleggos

@citizencities  @dannydisg @archhopeful - I heard back last week on GSD acceptance, and yet have been running across some fin aid login snafus as-is, so issues may be pretty widespread regardless. I imagine the letters are in the process of being sent out now. Good luck! 

Mar 9, 15 4:35 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: