Archinect
anchor

Architecture and Real Estate Development

justinritchey17

I am currently pursuing an BS degree in architecture. However, I was looking into a second field to help me as an architect. I am now considering getting a masters in real estate after my architecture education so I can become a licensed architect and real estate developer. Architects complain all the time how clients never let them design anything and about how much red tape there is. So I am now considering being a developer and architect so that I can design buildings how I want and make a bigger salary. Is this a good idea and beneficial in this industry? Also should I stick with my BS Arch and get a double masters in real estate and architecture that will take about 8-9 years or transfer to a BArch and just get a masters in real estate afterward which should take 7 years. I am just considered on the difficulty level of a BArch and the difficulty in a double major, but I want to be in college as short as possible. Thanks for all of your help.

Jan 2, 15 12:08 pm
“””1991”

Just drop out of school already. You ask this or similar questions expecting different answers. You're gonna keep getting the same response over and over. 

I guess you can't expect much from a UTSA student, am I right?

Jan 2, 15 4:13 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

Chose real estate development as a part of my architectural career (spanned 44 years). Didn’t do it initially for the money but for control of my work. This is a direction so many architects should pursue….control of the architecture and a way to make more money. Choose architecture and starve, chose architecture and development and thrive. Get the book SHoP and see what is possible.

Jan 2, 15 6:09 pm  · 
 · 
eco_gen

Stick with you BS in Architecture and pair it with an MRED. If you want to stamp your own drawings and do all of the design work, then do the BArch then get your internship hours in with a firm, take your exams, then go back for the MRED. I think it's better to be the developer who hires the architect though, which means you don't need the stamp.

If you choose the BS, you can get a job as a Project Coordinator or Development Coordinator with either a Real Estate Developer or General Contractor out of school after your bachelors, do that for a bit and then go back to school, or can do an MRED(Masters in Real Estate Development Program) right after undergrad. I don't know how you are coming up with the 7 year time span. It takes 4 years for your undergrad degree and your MRED varies but some are as short as a year, so that is only 5 years at a minimum. Maybe you were looking at other programs? When you graduate, it will take you time to build up confidence and sound like you know what you are talking about. 

Your formula/recipe on how you combine things is totally up to you but I would see if you can sneak in a year or two with a General Contractor or Developer before going back to grad school. I only say this because I think you will get more worth out of your grad courses in doing so. You will be able to understand what you are missing from a knowledge perspective in the first two years of work experience and then head into grad school seeking out that knowledge. If however, you can't get a job right away, then maybe doing the masters right after makes more sense. You can always differ grad school if you get a sweet job after college but you can't slide into a grad program last minute when you can't land a job and the deadline to get accepted to programs has already passed. 

Good luck! Don't give up on school. Hopefully I'll meet you in a board room one day.

Until then, 

Take care

Nov 11, 15 12:12 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: