Archinect
anchor

What's Denari Up To?

dillup.

Haven't heard much about Neil Denari lately. Is he teaching at UCLA? Regularly? How is his practice? I wasn't able to access what I thought was the web address. Does he still have a branch in Berlin? That would be hard to believe. I know he built a few things in LA but I have yet to see any pictures. Any publications in the works? I enjoyed (and recently picked up again) Gyroscopic Horizons.

Just Curious. thanks

Dec 14, 04 6:12 pm
spaghetti

he recently opened a store "L.A.Eyeworks" havent had a chance to see the design much, but theres pics floating around online

Dec 14, 04 11:36 pm  · 
 · 

he designed LA Eyeworks. he doesn't own it. just to clarify alfredocheese's post.

from the gallery

Dec 14, 04 11:38 pm  · 
 · 
spaghetti

ahh there is the picture... "designed" i meant, as well.

Dec 15, 04 12:29 am  · 
 · 
spaghetti
http://www.archidose.org/Feb03/denari3.jpg

(interior shot)

Dec 15, 04 12:30 am  · 
 · 
plusminus

yuck...

Dec 15, 04 12:58 am  · 
 · 

yeah, and it looks more impressive in pictures...

Dec 15, 04 8:52 am  · 
 · 
THE SUPERMARKET

gyroscopic horizons is a great book.
i have never seen renderings like his.
and then there is the physical models.
i would venture to say that denari tries
harder than any architect that has never
really built anything.
that interior shot is
crazy. it looks like
something out of
the jetsons.
-n0010

Dec 15, 04 8:28 pm  · 
 · 

He has a project or two in Japan under construction, a bank storefront and the first level + grounds of an office building on one of the last open lots in Tokyo. Also, he's completing a office interior + facade for Endeavor (a talent agency in Beverly Hills). Also of note is the mobile performance space for some European visual arts collective. This information is from his recent lecture at UCLA.

Dec 16, 04 9:54 pm  · 
 · 
whitllam

He lectured here at Ohio State about a month and a half ago. Frankly, I was fairly unimpressed by the lecture and he couldn't really explain his own efforts very well. Most of the students and faculty I spoke to afterwards were left wanting a little more substance.

Dec 16, 04 11:53 pm  · 
 · 
garpike
www.nmda-inc.com
Sep 27, 05 9:52 pm  · 
 · 

The office interior for Endeavor is finished and was featured in the last issue of ArchRecord.

Heres a link.

Sep 27, 05 10:06 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

whatever you guys say, i have to admit that i quite like his built works. Though i admit that the detailing might turn out to be bad in the end, his works hold up the promises of his take on architecture.

And i like the website too - very clean and well designed

Sep 27, 05 11:01 pm  · 
 · 
pomotrash

I saw the Endevor project through the LA Forum and loved it. Perhaps Neil's best exploration of "banal space". I wanted to grab one of the lingering executive assistants and shag her right there on the cold tile floor.

From what I hear he is doing pretty well at UCLA- perhaps healing from all of the wounds being the director of SCI-Arc dealt him.

Sep 27, 05 11:25 pm  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

haha. The Endeavor does look like a great project. What's his built total up to now? 4 interiors? I've always liked denari, just would like to see some 'ground up' from him.

Sep 28, 05 10:09 am  · 
 · 
Josh Emig

The High LIne bldg. will be ground up.

Sep 28, 05 10:22 am  · 
 · 
Francisco David Boira

I think Denari has always been a point of reference for students and also practitioners. Perhaps he doesn't have many projects completed under his belt but many other architects have taken his ideas of continuous surface and use it as "precedent".
Some examples:
Diller Scofidio...oh yes and Renfro

Thomas Leeser

Personally, ever since undergrad days back in '95 I loved Denari's work, and continue do so...but I have to admit his lectures aren't that great.

Sep 28, 05 11:23 am  · 
 · 
pomotrash

I always liked him when he was at SCI-Arc. He has the personality of a pet rock, but he used to come around the studios on lecture nights to drum up attendance.

I think if he finds the right developer/sugardaddy he'll probably build more (at least in LA). Afterall, if worked for Moss.

Sep 28, 05 11:51 am  · 
 · 
TSCOMG

i believe several of the projects listed in the currents section of his website are pretty much in the bag at this point and will be built. i think the firm's relationship with the mitsubishi bank is also likely to yield a number of projects, although i don't know whether these will be more facades, or interiors, or what.

i would agree that neil's lectures can be somewhat opaque, but he is fairly compelling as a studio critic. i did enjoy his chafingly dry sense of humor as well.

Sep 29, 05 1:35 am  · 
 · 
Appleseed

I agree with TSCOMG. The dude is pretty fucking funney.

Sep 29, 05 9:40 am  · 
 · 
pomotrash

The Japanese love Neil. I think they understand completely what he is trying to do and appreciate it for what it is- vacumm space. Like Takahasi Murakami (SP i know) Neil understands this concept of "flatness" and "slickness" in contemporary culture. His work exudes a kind of "Pop" banality that Japanese culture has exploited with Kai KiKi and other anemae influenced art.

Sep 29, 05 11:34 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: