Archinect
anchor

Career change!

MAII

Hello!

Unlike many on this forum, I come from a background altogether unrelated to architecture and design -- finance and investments. I am considering applying to a top MArch programme next year and wanted to get some advice. For those of you who came from unrelated fields, if you had the chance to spend the year prior to your application differently, how will you go about it? Does working for an architectural firm help one gain experience? can one actually get involved in tangible exercises without formal training? All suggestions and ideas are welcome..

Nov 27, 14 6:36 pm
chigurh

don't go into architecture...seriously.

If I could go back and do it again, I would have listened to all of the sobs that told me not to go into this field.  

Nov 27, 14 11:02 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

Does working for an architectural firm help one gain experience?

Won't hurt but probably won't help much either, since you really won't know how to do much except make the coffee.  BUT, it will give you more of a feel for it and may help you to see what a bad decision you are contemplating.  If you are making any kind of real money in finance, you are going to be extremely frustrated with the compensation levels in architecture.

Great hobby, lousy profession.

Nov 28, 14 8:24 am  · 
 · 
flatroof

Whats with all the posts with i-bankers wanting to go into architecture? You can only sell your soul once.

Nov 28, 14 9:20 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

This is America.   Package your soul under a corporation, insure it, and sell it through a derivative market.  You can sell your soul several times and jump out with your golden parachute when the devil comes to collect.  As has already been outlined on these forums, take whatever you want, then hide your money so you won't be held accountable for the decisions you make.

Nov 28, 14 12:16 pm  · 
 · 

After you use your banking skills to amass a fortune at the expense of others you will be well-positioned to enter the profession.

If you already have a fortune - generally a good idea if you're thinking of entering architecture as a profession - then go work in construction so you can see what it is that architects are supposed to be doing and how effective they are in reality.

Nov 28, 14 1:18 pm  · 
 · 
Archinectologist

I am very glad I stayed in Architecture.  Great job,  Great people.

Nov 28, 14 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

I am very glad I stayed in Architecture.  Great job,  Great people.

Do you have a trust fund?  High earning spouse or significant other?  Or does the romance of the starving artist hold a special appeal?

Nov 28, 14 9:57 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Maybe he just likes his job and colleagues...

Nov 29, 14 12:04 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

coming from finance?  are you crazy?  you must not care about money.

Nov 29, 14 8:54 pm  · 
 · 
TED

Be Kind, now! 'Finance and investment' is a big discipline....

Nov 30, 14 8:17 am  · 
 · 
batman

GO INTO REAL ESTATE DEVELOPMENT <PERIOD>

Nov 30, 14 11:39 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: