Archinect
anchor

Interior Architecure vs Landscape Arch....

Radiocrux99

Hi guys,

I have a pretty interesting dilemma which I am actually thankful for but its still driving me nuts. Here it is:

I have a chance to study Interior Architectural Design at my local state school. The costs are minimal but I would still be in some slight debt. I have made excellent connections with people at the US Army Corp of Engineers Interior Design division and my family is already in the interior construction business so I am not that scared about finding a job after school, but still, Interior Design is not my greatest passion. I love the design aspects and have a decent interest in it but it doesn't fuel my passion for design.

Now, I love LA, planning and urban design. That stuff I am nuts over. I talked to another local state college that would love to take me in and give me a free ride basically. They say their program is well connected and what not but I just don't trust administrators anymore with promoting job security and placement especially in an economy that doesn't favor designers these days

What would you guys do? The first program I am in interested in, I think I would do fine but I am much much more passionate about the latter, even though I would have to really start from scratch writing my own ticket and hope for the best.

What's the market like for both professions? Which is more lucrative? Either way I have debts and need to know which one would offer more job security out there in this economy?

Nov 27, 14 3:44 pm
Beepbeep

Go for the Landscape Architecture degree, you will find success if you love it. Money is not everything, you only need enough to survive. 40k-60k is plenty to live a great life and have a good savings as long as you are not into your image to much like needing 2 BMW's and a shity giant house and Ed Hardy clothing and wide stitched jeans. Landscape is a good profession and all that I ever talk to are always happy much more than most architects. (also landscape does not have the ego that architecture does)

Do it ! and make your school great and also a good state school is fine take pride in the cheaper state education we all can not afford Harvard even with good scholarships. Also you expressed interest in government jobs which hire a lot of landscape architects actually and state government such as New York DEC. Anyway I would definitely put Landscape over interiors any-day, Interiors programs tend to be much less rigorous with conceptual design and more decorative and product based...I wish this would change and interiors programs would elevate themselves to the rigor of architecture.  I turned down a couple IVY league landscape programs and choose to do architecture, and if I could do it over I would of went landscape all the way. but this is just my opinion, to each their own.

Nov 27, 14 4:13 pm  · 
 · 
Beepbeep

Sorry for the rant Turkey overload,

drinks...Iphone and crazy family in one place...

Nov 27, 14 4:14 pm  · 
 · 
Radiocrux99

Please rant some more! I need all the info I can get to make the right choice!

Pros and Cons:

1. LA program will take me almost 4 years as I need to get some pre-reqs under my belt.

2. Interiors will only take 2 and half years.

3. LA program has city connections and well regarded in the city but I am afraid if I leave the state I would be SOL

4. Interiors is what my family does and I would never have to worry about a job

Now are the interiors programs really that decorative? You mean they don't teach interior design as in conceptual designs, blueprint reading, all the basics that will make you a champ in the interior construction and design field? I would just learning about color schemes. lighting and furniture? The point is to be good at designing the interiors of major offices like a real designer.

So landscape is the better profession in terms of job outlook? I need to know concretely because I know what its like already as an undergrad to major in a useless degree with little job prospects and be in major debt. I need something as concrete as engineering in terms of job safety. I know all fields suck right now but I can't have a glorified art degree. I need practicability and design.

I am not a gold digger either. I don't need fancy cars or mansions. I just want to be a professional and live a professional life.

Keep ranting. Anyone, everyone, rant away. Don't hold back!

Nov 27, 14 4:26 pm  · 
 · 
Radiocrux99

Anyone else?

Nov 28, 14 3:20 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: