Archinect
anchor

How often do 3yr MArch 1 programs give advanced standing?

proximity

I'm wondering how common it is for schools who require 3/3.5 years for their M Arch 1 programs (schools like Harvard, Columbia, UPenn, etc) to give advanced standing to students who have a B.S in Architecture. It says on all their websites that they do it but I'm wondering what the chances are. Is it basically B.S. in Arch = advanced standing or do you have to have an amazing portfolio?

Nov 2, 14 9:02 am
natematt

I am pretty sure it mostly relates to prerequisite classes required for accreditation.

oh, and squeezing money out of you...

Nov 2, 14 11:20 am  · 
 · 
Spidey

Penn gives very few students advance standing. Almost everyone is in the 3-year program.

Nov 18, 14 9:57 pm  · 
 · 
arifj

Pretty sure it's really really rare at the ivies. 

I go to Pratt, and they seem to basically have done away with advanced standing, I have a 4yr Architecture undergrad, as do many other people in Pratt's 3 year M.Arch.

Parsons did however give me advanced standing. University of Washington Seattle also offered me a 2 year program, but I think that was because they have a separate track for people with 4year undergrads rather than an "advanced standing".

Nov 20, 14 10:22 am  · 
 · 
Bench

This seems to be a distinctly American thing. I've often felt that it probably has to do (at least in part) with getting more money from a student in 3 years of tuition rather than 2 years.

I finished a 4-year undergrad in Canada, worked for a year, and then applied to American and Canadian masters programs. For some reason the American schools I was accepted to wouldn't accept me into the 2-year program, even after an appeal and portfolio review. Meanwhile, there appears to be a very transparent interchangeability in the Canadian schools, for the ones that have accreditation. Some might require a 1-term qualifier, but thats it. I didn't require any additional time, and I wasn't really interested in doing that (it would have been a deal-breaker, personally).

Don't expect to be able to get out of that first year in the states. Elsewhere, no problem.

Nov 20, 14 12:30 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: