Archinect
anchor

Study Architecture abroad

Nefh98

Hello,

I'm a high school student from Greece..I'm in second grade of high school so i finish with my school next year.I love architecture and design so i want to go to a university that i'll be able to study what i love and then finish my studies and be able to work as an architect.My problem is that i don't really "trust" Greece's universities so i want to study somewhere abroad..I've asked many people about this and the answers are 50%-50%..The 50% is telling me to go to AAschool of architecture in London...and the other 50% is telling me to go to the university of Edinburgh in Scotland. Besides my parents and some other friends are telling me to finish university here and after that to go for a master degree abroad..

I'm really confused because i want to find the best university for architecture and i have completely no idea about what to do..So it would be really helpful if someone could tell me his/her opinion about it..I've searched about this in many sites and forums but i can't find anything..

Thank you!

Oct 23, 14 6:55 pm

Schools of architecture can be very different and the experience of attending and what you get out of each program can also be very different.  Are you able to visit each school?  This is a good way of getting a feel for the environment and seeing the work of the students and talking to some tutors to see which one you connect with the most.  Alternately, you could contact the school and ask if they have any student representatives you could email or call to ask about their experience of the school.

The biggest advice I have is not to go for the school people tell you is better, but go for the school you FEEL the most excited about and connected to the work.  Architecture school is intense and I don't think it's helpful to spend time at a place you hate, just for the sake of a name.

Good luck!

Oct 27, 14 5:37 am  · 
 · 
nordface

AA and Edinburgh are good schools, that's all i can say but taking the path your parents offered also seems appealing. why don't you trust Greek unis? i would dare to say schools in Mediterranean are more eye-opening or definitely more experiential which is essential for design education rather than those in continental Europe like TUs or Ecoles which basically impose you architecture as construction knowledge and train students as slaves for industry.  

Check the school in Salonica, as far as i know, the faculty is very enlightened. Once i met Giorgos Papakostas in a workshop, write him if you need help for unis in Greece, i think he will answer. 

Good luck!

Oct 27, 14 4:40 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: