Archinect
anchor

Attention to all architects studying and working in the US

la_venier

Hey guys,

People studying and working in the US, I have two questions for you:

1. I am applying for '15 fall semester for M.arch in the US at the moment (am not american) and am seeing these college ratings by arch daily and design intelligence.

How reliable are these lists? 

Is ivy's just a brand or is there really a difference in the quality of education and exposure? 

2. I would be taking a loan to finance my grads. How good is a masters graduate salary there? (i know it depends from state to state but roughly- I see 40kpa - 60kpa on the internet. ?) Will I be able to easily pay back the loan in 2-3 years of work there? (in Europe the pay is terrible - 500-1800 euros! )

Thanks a lot!

Cheers

Oct 22, 14 12:52 pm
curtkram

1. they aren't horrible if you have nothing else to compare.  i think universities usually get on the list if they have alumni making the list.

ivy is a conference, like the SEC or big 10.  some will say they offer better education and/or exposure, but then some people say a lot of things.  in my opinion, if you want to be an architect, focus on architecture.  if you want to be a harvard grad, focus on harvard.

2.  masters graduate salary is not good.  i suppose there are a lot of things that can happen, but if you're paying a good chunk of your school with loans and won't have other forms of income like savings or marrying rich to pay off your loans, there really isn't any possible way to pay them off within a couple or even a few years.  after you graduate from college, you have to go through a +/- 3 year internship that tends to be somewhat low paying before you can pass the test to become an actual licensed architect.  the odds of being able to pay off your loans after you become an actual architect are slim; paying them off while in your internship is much less likely.

Oct 22, 14 2:36 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

I've no idea what a kpa is but there is no way you'll pay off a graduate loan, esp. for an ivy league school in 3 years. 

i hear college in germany is now free...

Oct 22, 14 5:01 pm  · 
 · 
la_venier

so I will be stuck for atleast 5 years if I want to pay back my loan. This is sad! I don't get how people like me can pay such high tuitions. I better find a rich partner then! lols

@Curtkram, @ CHI-GMP: hmm..alright. thanks a lot for your opinions.

Now, choosing a good college in the US is very confusing and meticulous for an outsider. You have your favourite college/curriculum/ city on one hand and tuition on the other. These ranking list just adds up to the confusion. I want to focus on M.architecture- environmental design or design+ environmental design combo. UC Berkeley is at the top list as of now (the ranking list has ranked UCB well too) but then I do not know what are the other good ones. There is Cal Poly pomona, Obispo which are cheaper, but again I do not know how they are. 

I like Cornell and Columbia curriculum too. 

What are my options? any suggestions?

Oct 24, 14 1:23 pm  · 
 · 
la_venier

@shuellmi: yeah true, I was a DAAD (german academic exchange service) scholar and did an exchange in my undergrads. But problem is with curriculum and language. 

They have integrated course which I do not prefer plus english ones are limited! 

Oct 24, 14 1:25 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

Assuming you're a quality candidate I would expect somewhere around 38-48k depending on location, and assuming benefits.

If you have a loan around that much or more, then you'll probably be working on it for ten years if you don't have good ways to cut on cost of living.

Oct 24, 14 3:54 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

where do you want to live/work?  

If you want to stay in the USA a school in the area of the country in which you like would be best.  If you want to go back home the name brands travel better( i assume)

Oct 24, 14 4:26 pm  · 
 · 
la_venier

@natematt: hmm. . ok.

@shuellmi: hmm.. I would love to work/live in California, Texas or New York. 

Yeah, i want to finish studies, work for 2-3 years and go back home. That is the plan. 

Oct 25, 14 1:22 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

5 years? Lol. I have about $45k in loans from 6 years at any ivy ( scored good scholarships) and at this rate I will have them paid off in about 10-15 years. I pay about 150% of the required amount/ month.

Oct 26, 14 11:55 pm  · 
 · 
la_venier

hmmm. k..thanks a lot guys.

Oct 27, 14 2:22 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: