Archinect
anchor

Designing while still and undergrad

J_design
Hello I am wondering if it is possible to make designs etc. to sell to people as an undergraduate or is it illegal?

Oct 20, 14 9:51 am
chigurh

depends on what you are designing and whether or not you need a license in your state to do so.  If you are thinking a residential remodel or something you are probably going to be OK, although you will not have enough experience to know the potential pitfalls of doing such work...Don't even think about doing commercial/developer work without a license or liability insurance...Those are some of the most caustic clients you will ever come across, they will throw you under the bus and sue the shit out of you if it is going to make them a buck...

Oct 20, 14 11:27 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

If you design as good as you type, maybe it's best not to.

Oct 20, 14 12:35 pm  · 
 · 
J_design
Well thank you for your feed back Mr. Sequitur. I do mind you I am on a cellular device so it is kind of hard to type. @Non Sequitur
Oct 20, 14 6:27 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

You're welcome.

Oct 20, 14 7:09 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

J_design, I think it’s okay to put your toe in the water but not a foot or a leg. It’s too soon yet. You seem to imply that this is an internet endeavor, is it? You are going to find ridiculous completion on there including Vietnam renderings of $100. I don’t know your location but try to stay local with people you know and trust….maybe you could build a model for an alumni architect :) 

Oct 20, 14 9:12 pm  · 
 · 
Young Architect

Theres plenty of room on Fiverr for you to make designs to sell. 

I actually bought a cheesy 3D sketchup elevated floor plan on there for $90. It was perfect for my Client who struggling to understand a basic floor plan.

I stink at sketchup it would have taken me 2 days. 

Oct 21, 14 12:10 am  · 
 · 
chigurh

holy shit...$5 renderings?

That is like 50 cents an hour....FML.

Oct 21, 14 11:53 am  · 
 · 
RemIsActuallyAnAutobot

This is insulting to our profession. I saw a craigslist ad for architectural design services.  Absolute crap.

Oct 21, 14 12:23 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

5 dollars for a render?  That's like less than crack heads charge to wash your windshield with a wet paper bag and a twig from a tree for a squeegee. 

Oct 21, 14 3:06 pm  · 
 · 
A.I.

Lol! That website is hilarious!

Oct 23, 14 4:52 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: