Archinect
anchor

Poor Mans Graduate School (Architect Exam)

Young Architect

After architecture school I couldn't afford graduate school, so instead I took the Architect Exam as my Poor Man's Grad School. Heres my blog post all about it.  http://www.youngarchitect.com/2014/09/19/poor-mans-graduate-school-aka-architect-exam

Oct 15, 14 2:36 pm
bugsmetoo

The ARE process is not a poor man's graduate school. It's what you should be doing instead of graduate school since you already have the B.Arch.

Oct 15, 14 4:29 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

In this case, the "poor man" will have to console himself with merely becoming an architect, rather than delaying (or avoiding altogether) that title via more and more schooling that often veers far from the supposed goal.

Oct 15, 14 8:29 pm  · 
 · 
Young Architect

lol ok whatever that means. 

Oct 16, 14 5:14 am  · 
 · 
toosaturated

I dont get it...

Oct 16, 14 9:31 am  · 
 · 

The ARE is not a school unless your school where you got your B.Arch taught you nothing.

Oct 16, 14 4:43 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

funny how there is a sentiment in these forums that a masters degree is a waste of time and only required to teach, or that holding a masters makes you a more expensive employee...

That is a bunch of crap.  

Graduate school was awesome...and as a potential employer, I would rather pick an older more mature March holder than some 23 year old that rushed through exams to get a license and is too green to be of any real value to a practice anyways...

just sayin.

Oct 16, 14 6:10 pm  · 
 · 
bugsmetoo

A hopeless individual will usually always opt for the degree flaunting instead of work experience due to how enamored some employers can be over supposed expertise in a field. Architecture isn't a field where a PhD or Master's comes in handy once the person has the solid foundation to begin the licensing process. It's like going to school on plumbing, reading about it, theorizing about pipes and their role in society, but never even manage to unclog hair out of a drain. 

This maturity you seek might not exist because if someone simply just went from undergraduate to graduate with no break, all their petty little quirks and nonsense simply carry over. Again, they might learn or they might end up the same as they always were. If you have the weathered type of person who takes time to improve on themselves, that's a different type of person altogether. You are talking about another kind of employee, the self-aware kind who, not the academic coasters most are referring to in these threads. 

The point is, for those who aren't switching backgrounds and have a good education, graduate school is pretty much optional. It's not needed for licensing or gives anyone much more technical credit by default although for some, it would be a tremendous benefit at the right time. But generally, it's down to the fixation over degree credentials and trying to look educated when it doesn't represent much. 

Oct 16, 14 7:11 pm  · 
 · 

Good point bugsmetoo.

However, ARE is not an education. The work experience can be and it is work experience and projects under ones' belt that maybe better described as a "poor man's" graduate school.

Oct 16, 14 7:21 pm  · 
 · 
proto

hey OP,  in lieu of just spamming the forum with links to your blog, how about participating at archinect?

Oct 16, 14 7:25 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: