Archinect
anchor

2 year M. Arch programs?!

GraceC

Hello! 

So I'm currently a senior enrolled in a B.ED. program. (Bachelor's of Environmental Design). 

I know since this isn't a B. Arch, I need to pursue an M. Arch to become a licensed architect. 

The university i'm currently attending does have a 2-year M. Arch. I love my school, but I would like to go to a different school for my master's to diversify my education and gain new perspective. Also, I would preferably like to live in a city where I could possibly establish roots and work in after I graduate. 

I was told that students typically do a 4+2 year degree plan with a B.E.D. However,  now that i'm looking at other schools I see more 3 year type master programs. 

Upon graduation I will have completed 8 design studios, architecture history classes, systems and structures classes. I think it's silly to take 3 more years. 2 years was fine but 3 feels like I'm starting college again, i've wasted all of my time/money, and makes me feel like my degree is worthless. 

I've found a few schools that are two year M. Arch and a few that review your credits and portfolio, and will put you on accelerated program. 

NAAB has a pdf of accredited architecture schools by state that's really useful, but some of the schools websites make finding information about the lengths of their graduate programs difficult. http://www.naab.org/architecture_programs/home

Does anyone know of a list that exists that has 2 year or accelerated programs such as these already? or an easier way of finding these? I've been looking for awhile  and even when I do find information for a school, sometimes i'm worried I'm reading their program description incorrectly. 

If you've graduated or know someone that has graduated from a 2 year M. Arch or found a school that accepted B.E.D. credits please comment and let me know! 

Oct 8, 14 8:12 pm
Non Sequitur

Many schools force new-comers to take some sort of qualifying year/semester to make sure all students entering graduate school are equally educated in NAAB's eyes.

Oct 8, 14 9:28 pm  · 
 · 
taiwanchu

I can only offer my Canadian perspective on my experience. 
I have a B.ED. majoring in architecture also and after 10 years I went back for my masters in architecture. Canadian system requires a masters no matter what. 
The masters program I applied to was a 3 year program (1st year is foundation year for students entering in with a non-design degree). To get advanced standing, I had to prove my education covered or equated to the foundation studies so I spent ~$300 on transcripts, old course outlines, etc. Compared to the $7000+ tuition and lost wages it would have cost me for that extra year, it was well worth it. So some schools may have an equivalence for those with design backgrounds. 

Oct 9, 14 2:11 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^Taiwanchu, You can still become a licensed architect in Canada without a master's degree. You just need to complete the RIAC sylabus programe and then write your exams. It takes about 10 years and the average quality of student work is much lower, but it's an option for those who cannot drop everything and get back into school mode.

Oct 9, 14 2:34 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: