Archinect
anchor

How stringent is GSD (or any other school) on fulfilling the prerequisites for M.Arch I?

projecttocplane

All the schools that I'm applying to for M.Arch I has the minimum requirement of receiving a passing grade for Calculus, except Harvard which requires B-. I honestly don't think I can receive B- and I wouldn't want to retake the class if I don't get B-. 

Does anyone know from experience how rigorous schools are when it comes to prerequisites?

Sep 30, 14 4:11 pm
projecttocplane

Prerequisite must be fulfilled before matriculating, not before you apply. So they wouldn't deny my application whether or not I fulfilled those prerequisites.

In any case, I guess then exceptions can be made even though one might not receive B- for calculus before matriculating. I'd like to hear from someone who was in my situation though..

Sep 30, 14 6:06 pm  · 
 · 
projecttocplane

"So they wouldn't deny my application whether or not I fulfilled those prerequisites."

I meant to say it's not a matter of application but rather matriculation and attendance.

I thought you were talking about applying to those schools even though you did refer to students who are accepted.

Sep 30, 14 6:26 pm  · 
 · 

I actually emailed them because I got a C+ when I didn't care about school. They said they can accept you but must complete the class with a B- or better before beginning classes.

I'm more interested about how often schools give out advanced standing for students with a 4 year architecture degree.

Sep 30, 14 6:54 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

C+ and B-, that's hot!

We've got some top-notch students here.

Sep 30, 14 7:50 pm  · 
 · 
projecttocplane

"C+ and B-, that's hot!

We've got some top-notch students here."

Not everyone has the time to devote to studying after class, especially for something that will never be used after completion. There's work, other responsibilities, etc.

Sep 30, 14 11:00 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^and you're applying to an M.Arch with that attitude?

Sounds like you have everything in order.

Sep 30, 14 11:07 pm  · 
 · 

I appreciate the compliments Non Sequitur. I'm sure your considerations include your obvious knowledge of my life and how I was a severely under-performing and disinterested student out of high school and in my first semester at a community college received a C+ in a calculus class, which is actually an impressive grade considering the fact that I neither bought a book nor did any studying or homework outside of class. Which isn't to mention the students in the class who did study very hard who I outperformed nonetheless or the fact that I just graduated from one of the best public universities in the world. Your cleverness is matched only by your clairvoyance. And surely your limitless creativeness allows you to realize the fact that grade points, especially in high school, don't necessarily speak to a particular individual's intelligence or competence. I look forward to more of your valuable and productive comments.

Sep 30, 14 11:22 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^ Don't care, you don't get praise for barely passing. Good luck in the working world.

Sep 30, 14 11:27 pm  · 
 · 
projecttocplane

It's not just a matter of having the right "attitude", it's about being efficient and balancing priorities. 

I don't see why you'd want to clown on someone for a having a legitimate question that relates to life circumstances other than for smug amusement.

Sep 30, 14 11:36 pm  · 
 · 

I'll come back for your input if I ever ask for praise for getting a C+ in a math class that was taken almost 7 years ago. Until then it's as worthless as all of your other posts. If your luck is any good for me hopefully I won't be in your position of posting snide comments on the internet to make up for however bitter I am

Sep 30, 14 11:42 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^just clowning on someone's rant.

HS grades are used as tie-breakers when one or more equal applicants are fighting for the last remaining spaces. Your portfolio will win you a spot in the end as it holds the most weight and it actually relevant.

Sep 30, 14 11:45 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: