Archinect
anchor

Architecture thesis topic ... need input ...

architectusman

I am a final year student of B.Arch, and i'm having troubling figuring out the topic for my thesis. The following is a draft of the synopsis I gave to the instructors: 

"As Architecture is designed, a “God - Complex” is induced and the word “creator” starts to float around. The one that has the power to cast spells by his/her will and make wonders happen. A deity wielding a pen and by sheer force of will and some clever space placement he/she can invoke emotions and experiences at a whim out of whosoever allows him/her to do so. The objective is to work on the contrary, to provide spaces that are dictated by the event, that allow the user to give meaning to the program by becoming the “event”. In order to raise awareness in the community about a particular issue, the best route is to find a way to embed the thought into the local inhabitants, but when it comes to performing arts our socially corrupted society finds a way to both ridicule and appreciate the matter simultaneously. This creates uncertainty in the environment, hence nothing gets done and potential talents are left to rot. For their motivational uplifting there is a need for a platform that provides the essential amenities for them to fulfill their endeavors. "

As I am a musician on an amateur level myself, it feels as if this is becoming more of an emotional decision rather an Architectural one.

Please comment on this. 

Sep 18, 14 2:47 pm
AAKWEKS

"For their motivational uplifting there is a need for a platform that provides the essential amenities for them to fulfill their endeavor".....there are a lot of good thoughts flowing here. I am feeling a community driven, art/music/performance cultivation incubator of some sort...like a cross between WeWork and Bushwick Radio in NYC. Thesis is not just about the building, to me it was about exploration and research, everyone must approach it in a very personal way.  It is OK to let your emotions in but you must not let them direct you.

Sep 18, 14 6:03 pm  · 
 · 
architectusman

I appreciate the immediate response, and I agree to what you have said. I do need to clear a couple of things out though, i.e. the Architectural objectives and the Problem identification. The Architectural objectives I have in my mind are as follows:

to give spaces that are dictated by the event (character of space)

to provide a platform for young passionate musicians

to build an architecture that is in synthesis with its environment

to build the idea of one space for all

maybe work on transformable spaces

As for the problem, can the lack of a facility for a certain group of people (in this case Musicians) be an Architectural problem?

Sep 19, 14 3:29 pm  · 
 · 
Ashar awan

You have quiet good things in mind. i suggest you to go with these. You have a strong case. go with it.

Sep 20, 14 3:33 am  · 
 · 
Bench

That brief sounded incredibly interesting, well done. I completely agree with Aakweks, even though it is an architecture thesis it doesn't necessarily need to be architectural. I've sat in on quite a few thesis presentations that seemed to really toe the line between architecture and non-architecture.

Sep 20, 14 10:04 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: