Archinect
anchor

Architectural Theory

ausin001

I am a graduate student and new to the profession and I am looking for resources (websites, blogs, magazines, etc...) for architectural theory. I am interested in past theory, which is readily available in books, as well as current, which has been a little more difficult to pinpoint a source to read from.

Sep 16, 14 12:57 pm
awaiting_deletion

For Books: get the anthologies by Ockman (1948-68), Hays (1968-91?), Nesbit, and Sykes (1993-2009).........Framptons boom on Modern Architecture...... journals. LOG - that would be more contemporary.....for websites the late Lebbeus Woods blog is worth going through.......the Funambulist........and ARCHINECT - some features and blogs are worth a look...........and of course the forum if you do not mind the occasional troll..........there a few on here that know their stuff.

Sep 16, 14 5:57 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

Later in my career I followed Walter Netsch’s (SOM) Field Theory and solved all kinds of complex design problems with it, some reading available just Google it.

Sep 16, 14 9:35 pm  · 
 · 
TIQM

Anti-Architecture and Deconstruction,  by Nikos Salingaros 

Sep 17, 14 12:39 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven

I'd only read Salingaros for his stuff on biophilia, algorithmic design, and urban systems - his criticism of modernism and arch education starts veering off into don quixote territory...

big movement right now is "ecological urbanism" - and then we have the ever creeping cynicism of koolhaas's architecture of global capitalism...

Sep 18, 14 10:16 am  · 
 · 
TIQM

Salingaros exploration of biophilia, algorithmic design, and urban systems leads directly to his criticism of modernism...

Sep 18, 14 7:52 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

"Fortune is guiding our affairs better than we ourselves could have wished. Do you see over yonder, friend Sancho, thirty or forty hulking giants? I intend to do battle with them and slay them. With their spoils we shall begin to be rich for this is a righteous war and the removal of so foul a brood from off the face of the earth is a service God will bless."

"What giants?" asked Sancho Panza.

"Those you see over there," replied his master, "with their long arms. Some of them have arms well nigh two leagues in length."

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills. Those things that seem to be their arms are sails which, when they are whirled around by the wind, turn the millstone."

Sep 18, 14 10:41 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: