Archinect
anchor

ceiling truss design

cbgb

Hello guys,

I'm doing research for a storage facility I'm hoping to build in my property using 40'X8'X9'6" High Cube shipping containers. This question is in regards to the design of the roof for a structure of this size and material makeup.

The shipping containers are made up of mainly 12 gauge steel and can get really really hot on a sunny day. So the roof is mainly there for insulation and not aesthetics. Also, what are the potential costs of building this roof up to code in hurricane vulnerable florida.

I thank you for your suggestion in advance.

cbgb

Sep 16, 14 1:42 pm
proto

i know you asked about roof trusses, but why not a flat roof?

once your boxes are secure, try rigid insulation + a mechanically fastened & adhered membrane roof over the lot of them?

Sep 16, 14 2:29 pm  · 
 · 

Consulting starts @ $250 / hr plus expenses.

Sep 16, 14 3:14 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

sky hooks....ya that is the ticket....insulation floating in the wind....Now that is a $250.00

Idea!

Sep 16, 14 7:30 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
Get yourself a strux engineer for the strux part and an architect for the waterproofing and code part.
Sep 17, 14 8:25 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

oooooh, shipping containers, how original.

Sep 17, 14 8:27 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

and also, for what it's worth, I've worked many summers during arch school in these bad boys and let me tell you, when it's 35-40C outside, those things are wicked hot even in the shade.

Sep 17, 14 8:28 am  · 
 · 
gruen
Turns out that if you want to turn shipping containers into buildings...you need to actually spend money as if you are building a real building. Who knew? (Insert sarcastic comment here.)
Sep 18, 14 1:14 pm  · 
 · 
midlander

Here's some free advice: buy a pre-fab metal storage building. These are as cheap as you can get, the companies that sell them provide engineering and documents as needed to get a building permit.

A pile of shipping containers sitting on the ground isn't going to meet any building codes, and will probably sink into the mud once you load them up. If they don't blow away first. If you're committed to using shipping containers, you've got to hire someone to design and engineer this including a foundation, electrical, structural, maybe fire prevention - and pay for the modifications needed to bring this up to code.

An 8'x96' space isn't so easy to load and unload either. Unless you're just packing things in and leaving them there. Or storing lots of small boxes on narrow shelves. You probably need to give this some thought...

Sep 18, 14 11:51 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: