Archinect
anchor

How to read like an architect.

citizen

I'm the opposite of a speed reader.  I enjoy it, despite the laboring involved.  Of course, reading bad writing is the very worst task possible.  It wasn't until I started writing for others that I realized how important it is to write well, and clearly, and engagingly.  It's also m-f'ing difficult and time-consuming, which is why there's far more bad writing than good.

I'm a highlighter and margin-noter, too, like Nam.  I've also done the note-taking method on a separate sheet-- but then I lose the notes.  I like to have the notes and the original text all in one place.  Then I can dive back into the text, and I usually do: later reads sometimes turn up something I missed the first time.

Sep 19, 14 10:43 am  · 
 · 
citizen

And this circles back to the topic of books and who owns them.  If I read 'em, I wanna write in 'em.  To do that, I should own 'em.  I read three useful books this summer, all from the library because I didn't have my own.  Without intending to beforehand, I ended up making notes inside them (all in light, erasible pencil).  I liked the material enough to buy my own used copies ($240 total, thank you very much).

Now, I want to talk to the librarian and request a swap: their copies with my notes in them, for the clean copies I just bought.  (This is to save my having to copy the notes I made in the library books before erasing them.)  Will they care?  Will they call campus security?  It could be interesting...

Sep 19, 14 11:10 am  · 
 · 
-------

I doubt they'll care, but they might charge you a processing fee to prep the new books for circulation. At some libraries that fee can be quite high.

I'm too fussy about my books to write in them and many of the books I read aren't mine, so I always take notes outside of whatever I'm reading, usually in my reading journal, which avoids lost pages.

Sep 19, 14 11:37 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

That is hilarious Citizen and jw468 I do not mark my books at all so that if I reread it I do not influence myself to read it the same way again. The notes on the side is what I do for deep thinkers like Deleuze. While reading one of his books I had 1 full page of small hand print on 8 1/2 x 11 to every 2-3 pages of his. I felt like a new man every time I stopped. The room always seemed different, things seemed extremely slow and peoples minds even slower. TV was always amusing thereafter. I could of just walked off into the desert.

Sep 19, 14 6:42 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Olaf.... i totally feel you there. Reading Deleuze or DeLanda (my favorite modern philosipher) makes me feel as though everything is prosaic and easy, just from the density and complexity of diction and syntax. Add to that some truly insightful thinking and your whole perspective on living can change in a couple hours. -------- Makes me feel like I just got done listening to "American Prayer" by Jim Morrison on repeat and walking around some sand dunes on a dozen hits of lsd. ------------------(consider this a line break)--------------------- I usually use sticky notes with the archival-safe ink in natural tone, so I can write down my thoughts on the page that generated them, but still remove if necessary.

Sep 19, 14 11:35 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

Genius archanonymous! And you could color code the sessions..............line break? ----------------- line break? ::::::::::::::::: line break?

Sep 20, 14 2:39 pm  · 
 · 

Nam et al>Books are my friends.  It is simply rude to books to deface them. And not cool.

That stated, I find the underlinings and marginalia usually dumb and dumber: dumb and to comments, dumber as to not understanding the words. And . Most  give up this vandalism after several pages ( the less the better). Myself, I learned totry and  ignore this idiotic strachings.

How would you feel if someone grafittied your work? Learn to read better.

Sep 20, 14 6:56 pm  · 
 · 
eric chavkin

archanonymous> I wouldn't be that infatuated with Delueze. He is sometimes just wrong on facts or he talks in circles.

There was a book he co-wrote with Guartari on Cinema/Time (something like that) He quotes and describes a scene in a rarely seen Max Ophuls film. Now I know film and my wife curated a Max Ophuls film retrospective at LACMA. We could not figure out what scene he was refering to, even though we the film quite well. It turned out Deleuze confused some other film with the Ophuls probably writing from memory or just bullshiting. And it wasnt just once but several times. His writings on philosophers: Spinoza, Nietzsche,Bergson are not taken seriously. His Nietzsche book is unreadable (well it was an early attempt, so give him slack)

Read him more for intellectual entertainment than as a deep thinker. There is no there there.

Sep 20, 14 7:19 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Eric - I was referring to DeLanda as my favorite, not Deleuze. I find most of Deleuze's work to be generally hit-or-miss. some chapters are amazing, and i frequently use them as excerpted "essays" for different architecture and technology classes, but like you say, he has plenty of misses. ---------------- (sorry for lack of line breaks) ------------- Manuel DeLanda, on the other hand is an amazing writer with impeccably researched and executed work that is breathtaking in scope and insight. A Thousand Years of Non-Linear History and A New Philosiphy of Society are two books I can come back to again and again. --------------- (Line break???) ------------------------- Olaf - That's a great idea - i'll have to get the large size post-its in different colors. Maybe i'll even use different colors for different topics in the same book..... so many possibilities for my OCD brain.

Sep 20, 14 10:52 pm  · 
 · 
Osl8ing

...nevermind

Sep 21, 14 10:53 am  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

Thought I would post this for those people interested;  http://www.scoop.it/t/dyslexia-literacy

Sep 21, 14 7:23 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

Eric the book I was thinking of in my post specifically was "Difference and Repetition". In that specific case the facts are less important as he is hammering out thoughts in a circle, but its really more like a spiral..............................Delanda is awesome, his lectures suck you in and so does his writing, its considerably easier to read than Delueze.....................color coding post it could be categorized by what the read was trying to find and then you could use the real small half clear and paper post its.................sometimes I blame bad translations the source of hard reading........Satres Being and Nothingness was such a hard read for me, sure the topic is intense but other Satre translated by others were so much easier to get into..........there is one guy who translates a lot of Baudilliard and he is good, I imagine that I feel like I am reading the original.....................you can purchase a copy of Tractatus Logico-Philosphicus (or whatever it is called) by Ludwig Wittgenstein. One side is in German and the other In English and the whole book runs parallel. Its quite a fund read, German was my 2nd language. I noticed I made a lot of assumptions about what the German meant and I read much more accurately in English. This was an interesting experience................when you read writings by members of Futurism you can practically sing the Italian even though its in English, I find that also quite interesting how the Italian reads like it sounds after a good translation.

Sep 22, 14 7:00 pm  · 
 · 
eric chavkin

Yes Delanda I liked. BTW I have the same trans of Being anf Nothingness. My friends used to have Baudilliard over for dinner ( He was always someone's frequent dinner guest) . Didnt Wittenstien compile his Tractus in a foxhole?

The Futurist Manifesos are alot of fun. saw a performance of 'VIctory over the Sun'...lots of stident clang and bang. I once dressed up as a 'man moving ten thousand miles per hour'...yeah , starched back hair, ripped clothes, steaks of blood running from my eyes,ears and mouth. It was a gas.

Sep 23, 14 1:08 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

Haha eric. You are full of good stories, they may land in an interview with olaf sometime, reinterpreted of course.

Sep 23, 14 7:13 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

the more hardcore of a philosipher you are, the more frequently you need to eat at others' houses. No money for food.

On the more architectural side of things, I really like some of the lecturers who came through my schools' lecture series... I ran the AV setup for many years in exchange for work-study funds and it was a great opportunity to meet and talk to many architects and theorists about different topics... even occasionally go get drinks with them.
Eldorado, a small design-build firm out of KC are great guys and they have some excellent essays on their website. Olaf, you would definitely like them.

Reiser and Umemoto lectured also and they outlined one of the most complete theories of architectural practice I have ever heard. I immediately bought the Atlas of Novel Tectonics afterwards.

Sep 23, 14 9:25 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

Archanonymous, one guy of El Dorado came to one of my classes once back when they were small fries, like them then and I am sure I would like them now. I drink enough to kill a hipster fish..............lectures - Sanford Kwinter is intense saw him twice at about 6 years apart. His book - Architecture and Time id a good read and he references Kafka a lot. Reiser Unemeto's book is a good reference book for when working............Kafka. I just put something together I do not think anyone has noted or ever suggested. I first read Kafka's "Das Urteil" (the judgment) in German before I read it in English. As noted above my reading skills are not as deep in German as they are in English, Heinrich Boll is my limit, Kafka and Philosophy a little tougher. Either way when I was reading Das Urteil by Kafka, at the moment the main character runs to go jump off the bridge to his death I stood up and nearly exclaimed to the German Regional Train car "what the hell?" I realized right before that I would look silly with a little yellow Reclam book in my hand exclaiming in English what Kafka had just done. Sadegh Hedayat a modern Persian writer actually did jump off a bridge in Paris (I think, from memory) but did not die. This was in a letter to his brother or cousin. Kafka's story was 1912 so there is a good chance Hedayat read it. There has been literary commentary suggesting Hedayat was influenced by Kafka. Reading short stories by Hedayat from recently translated Three Drops of Blood; they all have these "what the hell" moments towards the ends. Like a really dark version of Guy Ritchie movies- like Lock Stock and Two Smoking guns, but more intense in the abrupt story change and connection of all things.

Sep 24, 14 8:01 am  · 
 · 
shohhel1000

OH!!!!!!! Wooops....apologies to you lot. My post was not meant to go here. I had two or three archinect windows open...reading this one, scrolled down, left it, came back to what i though was another thread and pasted it here accidentally. Ironic to think that you're all talking about dyslexia

Sep 24, 14 8:57 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

You might be retarded shohekel, not dyslexic. your first post is a post about not meaning to post as you post it. 984 purple rain thunder chevy chase.

Sep 24, 14 9:37 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

I could never get into the heavy German stuff. Although I am quite fond of heavy German beers.
Just read David Rutten's paper from SIGGRAPH 2014 (developer of Grasshopper) it is a must-read for anyone interested in computational mathematics or algorithmic design. Especially if you want to control the algorithms, not have them control you.

Sep 25, 14 9:03 am  · 
 · 
CD.Arch
Such revolutionary comments archanonymous. Rise against the algorithms!
Sep 25, 14 9:15 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

German wheats are grrrreat! Yes to Reading Rutten, straight from the source. I am algorithm!

Sep 25, 14 2:56 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

there is no there?

This. 

Sep 25, 14 3:57 pm  · 
 · 

my friend eric chavkin is one of the greatest readers i know. definetely extraordinary... everything he says here is true and he is my personal 'bookie.' every wall in his house is filled with books floor to ceiling and he has things to say about each one of them. not a nerdy catalog information but critical commentary mixed with his own opinion.

our last project was curating these paperbacks for this catalog.

http://issuu.com/orhanayyuce/docs/lab1final__2_/1?e=0

Sep 25, 14 5:20 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

In Russia, algorithm control you!
Speaking of which, anyone into Dostoyevsky, Tolstoy, or (my fav) Lavrov?

Or, more specific to architecture the work and related writings of the constructivists - Talin, Malevich, Rodchenko? (Not sure about some of those spellings, its been a while and my bookcase is admittedly light on Russian works.

Olaf, witbiers are probably my favorite class of bier, but i can also get down with those German dopplebocks. Shiner is actually one of my favorite American mass-produced beers.

C.D.Arch - I can't tell if you are being faceitous or not. I do love a good algorithm, but it seems like common sense one would not want to be taken for a ride by their tools. There is such a huge gap in reading some b.s. like Patrick Schumacher's autipeisis of architecture vs. reading Rutten, Daniel Piker (Kangaroo developer) or the like.

Sep 26, 14 12:22 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

Albert Camus is good, especially The Rebel, lots of Russian literature references............................Hacker-Pschorr always a good wheat. I am also a huge Belgian Ale junkie, there was this limited production I think by an off shoot of Sierra Nevada called Olivia,8 bucks for a large bottle. Ommegangs belgian beers are great as well. And of course you can never go wrong with Delerium Tremens. The major upside to Inbev Anheuser-Busch merger are all the Belgium imports. The california brewery Lost Abbey has a very nice wheat if you are willing to shell oit the money....................................I wonder if Patrik Schumacher ever wrote his own algorithm from scratch without assistance from talented staff? I would be interested in seeing this script.

Sep 26, 14 7:20 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

I need to read more Camus... definitely a gap in my knowledge there.
Delirium Tremens and Nocturnum were some of the first real Belgian beers I had maybe 8-10 years ago when the beer trend was just a glint in some hipster's eye.
The recent craft beer craze amuses me. I actually hate hate hate the bitternesses of IPA's and overly hopped beers. I think the Trappists did the craft beer thing first and they did it right. I can always come back to them.
Although the side effect is that I can walk into half the bars here and get Weihenstaephaner on-tap, which is a definite win for me.
I just moved away from Colorado which is such a good location for beer - from my house I could walk to no less than 8 breweries. One of which had a great saison.

Maybe there should be a "drink like an architect" thread.

Sep 26, 14 8:30 am  · 
 · 
Dany

Really interesting thread. I agree about Deleuze... I don't understand the appeal at all. Maybe I don't "get it"  but I never noticed anything particularly insightful in his writing. On the other hand, I am  currently going through Hegel's Phenomenology of Spirit and I am amazed by how clever it is.  

Sep 27, 14 12:13 am  · 
 · 
eric chavkin

Arch any?> follow up on these: Aleksei Gan and Rodchenko's wife Stepanova. Rodchenko and Stepanova alomg with Tatlin were very influential and a good thread to follow. Stepanova in industrial clothing design , Rodchenko in photopgrap[hy and gra[hics. Aleksei Gan was a futurist with grandiose ideas about making the city a work of art.

Malevich is practicaly a classroom for absract compositions.

also Ben Bucloch wrote an insightful critic for OCTOBER  From Faktura to Factography.

http://realismworkinggroup.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/buchloh_factography.pdf

You should  also look into Lissitsky abd the filmaker Dziga Vertov.

Sep 28, 14 9:47 pm  · 
 · 
boy in a well

oh shit!

bump for factography.

Sep 29, 14 2:41 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

Dany can the internet count as Hegel's Spirit?

Sep 29, 14 6:38 am  · 
 · 
eric chavkin

HEGEL

My introduction to Hegel was thru my longtime friend Alan Wald, a student of Herbert Marcuse at UC San Diego. He gave me Marcuse study on Hegel REASON and REVOLUTION.

Reading Hegel is diffulcult, like slogging thru mud.His easier texts to get into are PHILOSOPHY OF HISTORY, AESTHETICS and PHILOSOPHY OF RIGHT. His Logic and especially his phenomenology of mind was more diffulcult to me, mostly because Hegel was fiting everything into his 'Logic" . Hegel, put simply, is a systems philosopher and everything has to fit into his system.

Remember that his PHENOMENOLOGY was written 20o years ago, before modern psychology and neuro-science. His observations on perception and thinking are outdated and clumsy. And all rationalized with his dialetic of logic: thesis-antithesis and sythesis.

Another problem with Hegel is that he argues from abstraction, that is , essences of things, and the result is not facts but philosophical reasoning which is what he does in his so called histories of fine arts, history of philosophy, and philosophy bof history.

Marx does a critique of Hegel arguing from essences in Marx's The German Ideology.Karl Popper the OPEN SOCIETY AND ITS ENEMIES is a well written critique from a science standpoint.

Until the 1930s Hegel was that relevant. It was Alexanders Kojeve's INTRODUCTION TO THE STUDY OF HEGEL that reintroduced Hegel and insipred Sartre, Merlu-Ponty. Thru Sartre, Merlu-Pony and Hiedigger (Heidigger did a commenatry on Hegel 's Phenomenology) we have the basis of much of European approach to philosophy.

To the point: When you read Delueze, Derrida, and much of French philosophical writing , there seems always the circular reasong that for me , makes the writing so unclear. I think that it goes back to the vassiliations between essences and facts with Hegel, reworked vis Sartre Being and Nothingness and Much if not all of the writings of Phenomenologists.

Hegel is important, and I read too much of him and also guilty of looking at the world like him.

Sep 29, 14 1:10 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: