Archinect
anchor

thesis on semi-open spaces

shreya1993

hello every one,

i started with my undergraduate b.arch thesis and my topic is a research topic which include "study of semi-open spaces." please can any one define what exactly a semi-open space mean. and how much %of opening is needed to define it as a semi-open. and what type of materials we can use on the roofs and on the sides

Sep 11, 14 12:18 pm
bugsmetoo

Why don't you research that? Seriously, just because you can't google an answer in 30 seconds does not mean the various definitions are nonexistent.

Sep 11, 14 1:00 pm  · 
 · 
shreya1993

@bugsmetoo

thank you for your comment. Actually lately i've been reading books on spaces and degree of enclosure but there is no specific defination on semi open spaces. 

Sep 11, 14 1:13 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

"semi" is a variable term and material selection is irrelevant to whether or not a space is considered "semi"-open.

Done, thesis finished. A+

Sep 11, 14 1:39 pm  · 
 · 
shreya1993

@non sequitur

well here i would like to take an example, like if we take a veranda closed from three sides with vertical u-shaped planes, and suppose there is also a sitting provision of about 60cm from the ground on the open side and is also fully grilled for security reasons. so will it still be a semi-open?

Sep 11, 14 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

...sure why not. Call it an semi-enclosed urban garden if you like, you're not labelling a product for specification purposes. I don't think you understand the semantic problems inherent in your "thesis" position.

Sep 11, 14 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
shreya1993

yaah actually that's what i wanted to know when will a space be semi-open and when it will be converted to semi-closed space. basically it's all dependent on ones perception but can we categories them with the help of any quantitative terminology.

Sep 11, 14 2:11 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

No. There is beauty in leaving things vague and irrational. Not everything needs to be rationalized to death.

leave the quantitative thinking to engineers. They need something to do until they are all replaced by robots.

Sep 11, 14 2:16 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: