Archinect
anchor

portfolio critic

nordface

i would appreciate any critic on my work. i'm planning to apply to Berkeley, MIT and some Europeans.

i will try to squeeze the first project, i might take out the second (urbanism) project. also i'm not happy with the pages 26-32. 

thanks in advance! 

http://issuu.com/taga/docs/port

Sep 7, 14 2:09 pm
bugsmetoo

It's really messy. Images in the middle, backgrounds blending in with diagrams. Your works are probably fine (not much to really change at this point).

Don't try to be creative with type--people that do that never know what they're doing. The key is communication, not painting an artistic collage.

Try this: bold only titles and use the regular font for everything else. Set a constant size across. Drop the background colors: all white and invert any white image to black. Drop the text on top of some colored box thing.

Use a grid. Be a bit more conservative and picky with images.

Sep 7, 14 4:17 pm  · 
 · 
nordface

thank you bugsmetoo! you wrote what i need.

i'll try to post the renewed version soon..

Sep 8, 14 1:50 am  · 
 · 
bugsmetoo

I sounded a bit harsh and personal but I don't mean it. Usually I think of previous bad examples when writing and a negative tone is unconsciously tied into the sentence.

Don't cover up your own work by showing off way too much. If you plan to print and bind this, an quarter inch around the outside edges will more or less be cut; about the same inside, usually a bit more if bound. 

Rework the project from pg. 45. The light grey details against a general light beige background results in poor contrast. Pg 51-52 has to go. If you want to keep it, consider dropping everything else or making the irrelevant words less opaque so it'll bring out the highlighted terms.

You still have time to flip through a few graphic design books or sites to gauge how to present text. 

Sep 8, 14 2:13 am  · 
 · 
nordface

don't worry about the way you sound, i'm here to hear from others and what you said is more important than how you said at the moment. i see you're trying to help.

this was a random format for digital publishing i used for internship applications so printing was never my concern. i'll try to recompose it into A4 size which is demanded by the schools i'm gonna apply. 

i agree with your thoughts on typing. i was kind of obsessed with it but i'll keep the pages 45 and 51 as they were, the rest is definitely going to be simplified.

the project starting from page 45 has to be redone since the page size will be change but i do not think that the technical drawings have to be seen completely on a portfolio page since the media for the technical drawings is not a A4 sized pdf. I blend them with the background intentionally but i will change the way i blend it to increase the contrast. 

i would appreciate if you can offer any source about the text graphics you mentioned. 

thanks again!

Sep 8, 14 4:27 am  · 
 · 
bugsmetoo

http://www.vignelli.com/canon.pdf

This one covers most of what you can likely achieve in the time from now until deadlines. Skim through it and then play around.

For pg.45 to whenever that project ends, you can shrink the rendering and that should leave enough spacing for a gradient of sorts. Or shrink/reduce the text. The diagrams are hard to read and they also fight to compete for limited visual focus. For what you intend, you'll need a bit more white/neutral space around to pull it off. They feel too compressed together, like you couldn't decide what the viewer should take away from the pages.

Sep 8, 14 5:07 am  · 
 · 
nordface

thanks!

Sep 8, 14 1:39 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: