Archinect
anchor

Fibre Cement Planks

Veuxx

Can anyone tell me pros/cons vs an ACM system?

Durability, detailing, waterproofing, experience with it?

I was looking at using Rider's OKO panels

http://www.rieder.cc/us/en/main/products/product/15/oeko-skin-slat-wall-panels/

Aug 15, 14 7:29 pm
TedTedTed

In my experience with Rieder/Oko Skin, it will be significantly less expensive than an ACM system, especially if you are trying to get ACM to be of a similar size to the slats of Oko Skin.  Oko Skin will be a true rainscreen system, while ACM could be a a rainscreen or a closed system.

Really it comes down to the aesthetic you are trying to achieve, though and if you think the cost differential is worth it.  Oko Skin has a natural variation of color/texture between slats, so you will not get a uniform, sleek look not matter what you do.  There will be color variation across the facade.

Aug 15, 14 7:37 pm  · 
 · 
Veuxx
Ted thanks for the help!
Aug 18, 14 12:42 pm  · 
 · 
LowPass

Looking for evidence that installed Fibre Cement planks (Oko Skin, Swiss Pearl) still perform well after a few years.  Did you end up using Fibre Cement, Veuxx?

Apr 1, 18 11:01 am  · 
 · 
Rusty!

These systems used as rainscreen cladding are great. I would rate Reider far below Petriarch, or Swisspearl, or Equitone Tactiva. Stay away from exposed fasteners and narrow profiles. A building went up recently down the street from me that looks exactly like OP's image. Looks like complete shit. Damaged corners everywhere and exposed fasteners make it look cheap.

I would also consider phenolic panels as well like Trespa Meteon.

You may run into NFPA 285 problems with fire resistance of overall assembly, so best is to stay away from polystyrene and polyiso as cavity insulation. Use mineral wool like Rainbarrier 45 instead.

Apr 1, 18 11:53 am  · 
 · 
LowPass

Thanks for the reply, Rusty. Do you know what the product is on building down the street from you? It's hard to imagine that the corners would look bad shortly after a recent install if it were a through-color, solid, fibre cement product like Rieder, SwissPearl, or Equitone.

Petrarch isn't being considered for the project I'm working on, but the other 3 are, so any post-install information on Equitone, SwissPearl or Rieder Öko Skin, especially how a slat panel -- with visible or invisible rainscreen fixing -- performs after a few winters in an inland (no salt air), zone 5 or colder climate, is incredibly helpful.  

Apr 1, 18 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

I'll try to take some pics of project down the street for you. It's basically physical damage due to poor installation. I would not use any of these panels on ground floor where they would be subject to impact. Otherwise I have specified Equitone (Eternit), Swisspearl, Rieder, and all over the east coast.

Apr 1, 18 5:39 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: