Archinect
anchor

[URGENT!] Cornell vs. Bath in the International Market

never4getthis

Thanks for stopping by! This will be quick.

I'm going to study architecture in university and I currently have an offer from Bath University and Cornell University. Both are at the very top of the undergrad arch rankings of their corresponding countries (UK and US respectively). 

I want to work in the international market after I graduate. I realize that Cornell is more well known world-wide and has a better reputation, so I was wondering if, when applying to an international architecture studio, Cornell would be a better option than Bath (Despite both being at the top of their country). If so, by how much?

Thanks!

Jul 20, 14 1:09 pm
KaylaF

I think it really depends on where you see yourself working afterwards, and where you plan to pursue your license.  Although there are many companies with international offices, you generally 'get in' locally and may then transfer internationally.  In that sense there isn't much of an 'international market' as such!  In my experience, although they may do international work, local offices look for local accreditation (for the most part, unless it's a transfer).

Personally, I had a lot of difficulty coming to the UK with American degrees as no one understood them.  It may have been different had I finished my exams at the point of moving (and could have said I'm a registered architect).  Instead I kept trying to explain I was the equivalent of a RIBA part II and had finished my IDP (no one knew what that was).  I mean, I got there in the end, but it was a bit of a hindrance initially.

I guess my advice is to really think about where you want to stick out the full course of your education and initial experience (through to license).  Trying to move between registration systems can be a mess and tends to have financial implications as well.

Best of luck!

Jul 21, 14 11:05 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: