Archinect
anchor

Graduate degree in Building Technology - Career Avenues

cfelix17
I'm very interested in learning about innovations in technology and materials that can be applicable to architecture - which is why a graduate degree in Building Technology appeals to me. MIT's Master in Building Technology is one example.

My question is, as a B. Arch student, what kind of career opportunities could you pursue with a graduate degree in this field? What does Building Technology really entail? I could view myself designing and researching new technologies for building envelopes or infrastructure, but I'd also like to eventually practice as a licensed architect. Is there a best of both worlds? Are there firms that are focused in this field of architecture?

Jul 14, 14 11:59 pm
Carrera

Felixcarlosj, there are many opportunities to apply this subject of study. With current 20-30 year life cycles of the materials that we use, it is becoming essential to discover ways to extend this….the sustainability movement leads this.

My local school district just spent $638 million to tear down and build all new schools. Using current materials that means that 30 years from now we’ll be spending that again to tear them down and replace again. The roofs on many of these new schools are now leaking and they are not even out of warranty. The old schools they tore down in contrast provided on average 91 years of service. This new program is not only unsustainable but poor stewardship.

Do not know about creating an architectural practice around this. You may be a good find for an architectural firms “green team”. There are numerous firms, mostly engineers, that consult on building systems and there are firms that specialize in building forensics. Then there are the hundreds of material manufactures seeking this.

Jul 17, 14 11:39 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: