Archinect
anchor

Does size matter?

CD.Arch
A quick question for everybody, would working in a small firm give higher pay due to a lower staff and more isolated projects, or would working in a larger firm pay more due to larger gross income of the firm? Keep in mind these are generalizations, I'm taking skill and/or job promotion out of this, so say, for a starting architect. Forgive me for my lack of knowledge beforehand.

Jul 1, 14 12:31 pm
archanonymous

Look at the AIA compensation report.

Jul 1, 14 12:44 pm  · 
 · 

There is no rule in this area, or even enough conformity to make a generalization.  Some small firms are highly paid and can afford to pay more, some are run by miserly bosses who will pay you as little as possible. Same scenarios for bigger firms.

The questions to ask should also relate to what you're doing for that pay.  In some small firms you get a baptism-by-fire experience that exposes you to all aspects of a project, in some large firms you're pigeonholed into one thing (renderings, bathroom elevations), and the opposite, again, depending on the firm.  Larger firms *tend* to have a more robust intern development strategy, but it varies wildly.

Do look at the AIA compensation report as a general guideline.  In my experience at mostly smaller firms I was being paid less than the compensation report showed as average.

Jul 1, 14 1:01 pm  · 
 · 
CD.Arch
Thank you guys, I'll take a look at the compensation report.
Jul 1, 14 1:33 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

Follow Donna Sink, I always do. Compensation report is a great tool for employees and employers, but it does lead to some amalgamation. I saw differences geographically, not Jacksonville vs. Los Angeles, but Toledo and Detroit, it can be that close. If you don’t mind a small commute you may benefit.

I had an employee in my Detroit office that lived just cross the bridge in Canada. With the exchange rate he made out like a bandit. We also paid him cash for his health insurance because he had free benefits in Canada, which added to his vault. If you live in a low/moderate cost of living community consider working in a high cost of living community......That is where the differences are.

Big always has better benefits and that needs to be a part of your calculation.

Jul 20, 14 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

asians got tiny ones

Jul 21, 14 2:54 am  · 
 · 
Carrera

Compensation? Get a load of this you guys…..How much do you think Guillermo gets paid on his gig with Jimmy Kimmel Live? Are you ready? $10,000.00 a week! Is our society fucked up or what!

Jul 23, 14 4:17 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: