Archinect
anchor

Real Estate Development Education

colinst16

Hey Guys,

So while not directly architecture, I feel like real estate development has a lot to do with the field, and so I thought this would be an appropriate place to post. I'm interested in potentially working for a company like Streetcar out in Toronto, or Urban Capital. Both are companies that are involved in Real Estate Development, mainly Condo/Loft buildings. I'm wondering what kind of education, specifically in Canada, would help me in securing a job with a company like that? I'm very interested in the Community Design program at Dalhousie, and that's really all I know about right now. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Jun 29, 14 12:22 am
KaylaF

There are a number of well regarded real estate master's programmes in the UK.  I'm afraid I don't know much about the Canadian schools.  These courses do tend to cater to those who end up in real estate development and property management.  Often they lead to a surveyor accreditation I think?  At least at the large development company I often work with I know they send their graduates to the real estate course at Reading and they all end up RICS certified as a pathway.

You could always call up the sort of company you are interested in working for and ask for an informal meeting with them to ask about their advice for how best to get into their field and what courses or paths they might recommend.  One way to possibly do this is to look to see if you have any alumni contacts within the organizations?  Although cold-calling can also work.

Jul 22, 14 9:47 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Colinst16, by the time you complete any degree the condo market (specifically in Toronto) will have imploded... but with that aside. best for you to look into construction management courses. Not many large development companies do their own design though, so if you want to play in this field, chase either the design aspect (BAS and March with your graduate work focused on urban renewal) or a 2 year construction/project admin diploma and fight the hoard of other applicants also trying to wedge themselves in.  Whatever you choose, make sure it involves good construction and detailing courses because no developer will hire someone just for their ideas if they can't put together a wall section.

Jul 22, 14 10:01 am  · 
 · 
Carrera

Colinst16, great advice here so far, take it to heart. Not in Canada either so can’t be specific and I don’t know your current resume, but getting your MArch and a license is important to survival. The fundamentals are the key here and as non sequitur said “make sure (whatever you do) it involves good construction and detailing courses because no developer will hire someone just for their ideas if they can't put together a wall section”. 5 Stars there! Consider too a traditional career path to start and sliding over to development as things mature.

People in development are more intense in nature, it is a more intense environment than architecture….they are after all chasing money and use architecture as a tool to make that money. They therefore expect more from people with architectural backgrounds….consider ramping up into it or sliding over later….until you can fulfill these expectations.

Jul 22, 14 1:39 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

alfred Taubman taught a course on real estate development at LTU a couple years ago.  The videos are online and I think if you look hard enough you can probably also find the syllbus and other material. 

Not the first class, but the first search result.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWJECUggctY

Jul 23, 14 12:06 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Another LTU plug?

Jul 23, 14 12:30 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

if anyone asks me, Detroit Mercy is the better school

Jul 23, 14 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Detroit Mercy? A religious university? Sorry, but what a waste of time.

Jul 23, 14 1:01 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

i wonder how tammuz feels about that?

Jul 25, 14 12:02 pm  · 
 · 
greenlander1

if there is a Master of Real Estate that is good.  You can always take specific classes part time according to your angle and just educate yourself.  Depends on what you want, more finance, more construction, or more generalistic PM/ development manager position which requires a little bit of everything.

Aug 22, 14 2:36 pm  · 
 · 
REDI Foundation's comment has been hidden
REDI Foundation

Should consider the REDI Foundation's 6-Month Online Developer/Mentor/Certification Program. It's all about the student actually developing their first $10,00,000 - $25,000,000 project and not theory. See Student success stories on Top Student and Student Projects Page. www.redii.org

Jul 17, 17 4:21 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: