Archinect
anchor

Hippocratic Oath (for architects)

iheartbooks

Everyone is familiar with the oaths taken by both lawyers and doctors to uphold the tenets of their profession:

Hippocratic Oath: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hippocratic_Oath
Lawyers Oath: http://www.michbar.org/generalinfo/lawyersoath.cfm

But do architects have anything similar?

These oaths seem less about reminding practitioners of their obligations (but I’m sure they may to some extent). They seem to be more about letting the general public know what to expect from professionals in that field. It lets everyone else know that the medical profession knows what it is, knows its boundaries, and knows its responsibility to the rest of society.

There must be something, but I’ve only found a few parodies? Its easy to be funny, much more difficult to be serious.

http://edwardlifson.blogspot.com/2006/02/edwardocrates-oath-for-city-planners.html

The thought crossed my mind this morning after finishing this book: "Down Detour Road" http://mitpress.mit.edu/catalog/item/default.asp?ttype=2&tid=12328

I’ve asked a few people since then and the common answer has been “I don’t know, but I’m sure there is one.”

It seems like architects are viewed much more as generalists by those outside the profession. Which is a good thing to some extent, but dilutes the core idea of what architects are responsible for in the eyes of the general public (our clients). Does our stock fall as a profession because we don't have our beliefs so clearly laid out. Or even worse, because we are unclear ourselves about our responsibilities to society?

What do you all think?

Oct 7, 10 1:24 pm
toasteroven

the AIA has a code of ethics that reads similar... but I do agree that there should be something though...

although I feel like this is the oath some people I've worked for have taken:

I will disrespect the hard-won gains of those architects in whose steps I walk, and will keep such knowledge as is mine from those who are to follow.

I will never say "I know not," nor will I call on my colleagues when the skills of another are needed for a particular design problem - as they are my competition and I can design anything.

Oct 7, 10 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

not exactly an oath but the california architects practice act has a section on professional conduct (article 9, page 61) which covers obligations and rules of conduct.

Oct 7, 10 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
iheartbooks

That seems like it was written more for architects themselves. i was looking for something that speaks to the general public, stating our goals as a profession, not necessarily just how we conduct business.

The legalities are one thing, but i guess the other half boarders on morality. Thats the tricky part.

Oct 7, 10 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

Oaths typically tend to have an altruistic catch. Lawyers are only bound to uphold the constitution and to protect their clients at basically any cost, rich or poor. Doctors swear to treat any person regardless of age, sex, social class, ethnicity to the best of their ability solely with good intentions,.

The closest thing architects really have to an oath is in David Lynch's Site Planning, which is required reading for the ARE.

There's a paragraph in it that says it is the architect's authority and duty to inform the client of the best use of a lot and to recommend only those specific uses for that lot even if it means the client terminates the business relationship.

But, even though, it is part of the AREs... in practice? LOL.

Oct 7, 10 2:17 pm  · 
 · 
Justin Ather Maud

David Lynch's Blue Velvet? or Kevin Lynch's Site Planning?

Oct 8, 10 9:25 am  · 
 · 
poop876

AIA? What is that?

Oct 8, 10 12:15 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

Ops. I should have just said "Lynch's Site Planning." Good catch.

Oct 8, 10 12:25 pm  · 
 · 
gust0261

An oath would be nice;  something that we can all agree on; something that ties us all together and lets us all know that we are not alone.  Here are some thoughts.  What do you think?

The Architect's Oath:

We as Architects pledge that we will practice the profession of Architecture to the best of our proven ability.  We pledge that we will hold ourselves and our associates, to standards of professional practice, and those standards will be determined collectively by our Architect peers.  We pledge that our collective professional standards will ceaselessly endeavor to protect the Health, Safety, and Welfare of our clients, the public, and the environment.

Definitions:

Health: the overall condition of someone's body or mind.

Safety: the state of not being dangerous or harmful.

Welfare: the state of doing well especially in respect to good fortune, happiness, well-being, or prosperity.

Definitions drawn from: http://www.merriam-webster.com/

Feb 11, 14 7:49 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
Contractor offered me 10% kickback the other day for all projects I sent his way. Oddly enough, this is OK w the AIA as long as I tell the client. This gray area is so dark gray that I just ignored him.
Feb 11, 14 7:53 pm  · 
 · 

And all this time I thought the Architect's Oath was motherfucker.

Feb 11, 14 8:09 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

I wanna make a hippopotamus oath

Feb 11, 14 9:23 pm  · 
 · 
On the fence

They are a means to convince the general public to trust them.  To the doctors and lawyers, they are meaningless.

Feb 11, 14 10:54 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: