Archinect
anchor

Bachelor of Architecture - Out of Fashion?

Jun 1 '14 8 Last Comment
A.I.
Jun 1, 14 5:04 am

Is it just me, or are fewer programs and universities offering 5 year B.Arch Degrees?

It seems that the new norm is a 4+2, or 4+3 program eventually ending up with a Master's as your professional degree.

Is there any reason for this trend? (At least in the United States)

accesskb
Jun 1, 14 5:09 am

They want to make more cash by lengthening the program.

the orange menace
Jun 1, 14 2:55 pm

Employers are now looking for you to have a Master's as well - especially if you're just graduating. Nearly all of our fresh-out-of-school staff has a Master's.

I think for the schools it's a money grab, plain and simple. NCARB too, most likely.

NCARB did recently say they were going to be looking into licensure with your degree - meaning you would one way or another get a license upon graduating. This would seem like the only reason a Master's might make sense as a requirement, assuming it's modified to require significant work experience for your degree.

Honestly, in reality your education is what you make of it - as is your work experience. I sit beside a co-worker who has a master's from an ivy league (same graduation year) and we work on the same projects with the same responsibilities and the same pay.

But what do I know? I only have a BArch.

Thecyclist
Jun 1, 14 7:28 pm

Following the collapse in 2008, graduating arch. students found it difficult to obtain a job after graduation. Therefore, a better option was to study for a masters degree while the economy would hopefully recover. Today, I believe graduating students are seeing the effect this has had—students graduating with a BArch. are competing against these older students who have Masters degrees.

Honestly, the only two real reasons to obtain a masters degree after BArch is for the "connections" and/or if you want to become a professor. I think it's slightly ridiculous to think going on to get a masters is going to make you a MUCH better designer or open up a realm of creativity that just wasn't there in undergrad years.

jdparnell1218
Jun 2, 14 9:05 am

You guys with your fancy professional degrees....

Quan Nyen Tran
Jun 2, 14 6:14 pm

If the student is not waring black, he/she is out of fashion.

geezertect
Jun 2, 14 6:38 pm

Today, I believe graduating students are seeing the effect this has had—students graduating with a BArch. are competing against these older students who have Masters degrees.

Those staterooms on the Titanic are selling out fast.  Book yours now before it's too late.

mightyaa
Jun 2, 14 6:52 pm

Money grab...

They are "looser" with the undergraduate acceptance too, so they get more students, thus more money.  Should also note, graduate level courses and tuition is a ton higher, so they've got you hooked on wasting 4 years on a worthless degree, to really stick it to you for graduate level  you need to get licensed in this career choice... 

mightyaa
Jun 4, 14 10:44 am

Um... well, I'm a guy that hires folks.  BA vs M at least for me doesn't matter and the M can actually hurt you.  Mostly that's because I'm familiar with our local Master degree and it's subpar to most BA's since they cram 'architecture' into 2-3 years versus 5. 

• ×Search in:

Please wait... loading
Please wait... loading