Archinect
anchor

Lighting for a sloped ceiling

Synergy

Kind of an odd ball question here, but maybe someone has a good idea.

In my second bedroom (approximately 12'x19') I have a sloped ceiling that slopes in the direction of the short span. At one of the 19' sides of the room, the ceiling height is approximately 7ft, while at the other it is a little more than 10ft. Currently there are no built in lights in the room, and the only light in the room is from a switch that goes to lamps plugged in the wall and windows along the short wall. The room is for baby, and crawls and pulls at everything so I don't like having lamps.

I'm trying to come up with ideas of how to light the room with ceiling or wall lights. Any ideas? I'm worried that a light in the middle of the room won't really cast light up into the high side of the room. Track lights? multiple recessed lights?

Aug 19, 10 9:56 pm
achensch

smash a hole in the roof? give baby some fresh air!

Aug 19, 10 10:05 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

a. is it a hot or cold roof - check before even thinking about can lights.
b. tracks or pendants may be better options (thermally, anyway) and easier to install.

Aug 20, 10 12:50 am  · 
 · 
won and done williams

build a shallow soffit across the short (7') side of the room. create pocket in top of soffit. insert linear light of choice - likely t8s or leds depending on your budget. when you turn on the light, the light will be cast up the slope of the ceiling. supplement with floor lamps on the tall side of the room.

at $100/hour, that will be $8.50, please. :)

Aug 20, 10 8:28 am  · 
 · 
Synergy

Thank you,

Holz, it is a closed insulated roof, air does not travel through it, so that means Cans are out, right?

How do LED lights perform? I found some pretty cool looking LED track lights, but I don't have experience with them. How is the light quality? Do they really last as long as advertised? Do they put out enough light?

Aug 20, 10 8:59 am  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

Turn one of the windows into a fireplace. Burn VW engine blocks in it. They burn white hour for hours to day. Super bright lighting source.

You can just vent the exhaust from the fireplace straight into the roof.

Aug 20, 10 9:28 am  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

white hot*

Aug 20, 10 9:29 am  · 
 · 
mdler

lazers...babies love lazers

Aug 22, 10 1:22 am  · 
 · 
Justin Ather Maud

wall sconce aimed up into the ceiling for indirect lighting.

Aug 23, 10 5:37 pm  · 
 · 
Sean Taylor

Agreed. Wall sconces that throw light up at a white ceiling. For a simple sconce look at the wedge lights from Belfer. For a better fixture, look at Elliptipar. And make sure to put them on a dimmer.

Even if you could, I wouldn't touch the ceiling with recessed lights. Not only will you create cold spots in the roof assembly (assuming it is fairly conventional assembly), but it just looks bad and nobody likes direct light coming down on top of them.

Good luck.

Aug 24, 10 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

Jesus would disagree with you.

Aug 24, 10 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
Sean Taylor

That's funny.

OK, I'll amend. . ."Unless you are Jesus, you will probably not like direct light coming down on top of you."

Aug 24, 10 12:47 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

You could try Solatubes. They have light add-on kits, too. I also like the idea of a linear wall-wash type fluorescent fixture to light up the whole ceiling.

Aug 24, 10 1:09 pm  · 
 · 
Synergy

Thanks everyone.

I neglected to mention on the 7' side there is row of windows that run most of the length, but they are quite highly placed and are short, i don't think they are even 2 feet tall, they are right below the 7' eve. They provide decent day light, but at night, of course, aren't worth anything.

tyvek,

I'm considering lighting from the highside. I do like the Elliptipar fixtures, I wonder if the light will wash down properly the ceiling properly, or maybe it doesn't matter too much. I've got some old 2' aquarium strip lights that use T8 bulbs, I think I'll climb up there and try to do a mock up to get an idea if it might work.

Curtkram,

I do like the look of the solatubes, but now I'm a bit worried about punching holes in my currently functioning roof, I really don't want to give myself some new problems when I'm trying to fix my current one.

Aug 24, 10 3:38 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: