Archinect
anchor

Undergrad Choices: Art school vs Not?

n1ntyn9n

Hi All,

I am in an Architectural Technology Associate degree program at Northeast Wisc Tech. College.  I am planning to transfer.

I am planning on applying at a wide range of schools with my highest hopes being with UPenn and Cornell.  Everything after that I am still debating. They are University of Illinois:Urbana Champaign, SCAD, Boston Archiectural, & Syracuse.

Any others I should be considering?  I plan to go on for my masters with the ultimate goal of a career in Architecture.  I am not as artsy as most so SAIC scared me away a little.  I love the engineering side of things but not so into engineering that I want something like MSOE.

I see comments like "blah" would be good for Undergrad vs "blah" and want to know why?  What should I be looking for in an Undergrad vs a Grad?  Is it bad to stay at the same school as your undergrad for your grad?

I am married to a soldier, so I am less than "traditional".  I dont care about the amount of single students or how "fun" the scene is, nice dorms, etc.  I care most about the city, the studio space we work in, and the faculty.

Thanks in advance!!!

May 23, 14 4:43 pm
c.woodward10

If you are looking for a more engineering/technical education but still getting you design classes, UIUC is not a bad choice. You are aren't going to get really crazy design out of it. The design side is what you make of it. Myself and my best friends worked hard in design while others cared more for the technical side. It is really what you make of it. But regardless the technical background is there. The grad school is organized similarly and with ample opportunity to get joint degrees .

I went there for undergrad and will be returning this fall for grad in m.arch and hopefully get a jointaste degree with civil e structures so I feel qualified to talk about UIUC.  Other schools you listed, not so much. 

Champaign as a city is getting nicer but you'll really have to judge for yourself.  I believe the studios are getting gutted and redone this summer so hard to talk about that. The faculty is improving and becoming more energetic these days which is great and there is of course the more established faculty who has always been good. 

May 24, 14 9:28 am  · 
 · 
stevenas135

do you want to be a technician? or do you want to be a fucking visionary and run your own firm 15 years down the line. take your pick. the world doesn't need any more technicians, we need people who can innovate entrepreneurial solutions in this profession.

//architecture or revolution//

Jun 5, 14 11:35 am  · 
 · 
n1ntyn9n

le courvoisier, the later most likely.  just dont want to shoot myself in the foot also.

and Thx c.woodward10  I plan to visit in the next few months!  I have a feeling I will just know when I see it.  My undergrad will teach me a lot on what I really want, I think I want a place that will allow me to explore a lot of avenues.

Jun 10, 14 4:28 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: