When the university’s medical school merged with its public health department, it signaled a profound change for the departments. This new integrated approach to medicine was designed to address the evolving health care needs of Wisconsin, while educating health professionals, and expanding the boundaries of science through research.
To accommodate an expansion of programs and growth in curriculum, a new faculty office building was constructed. Housing up to twelve individual departments, the new building provides an open, collaborative environment, while allowing each resident group to maintain an individual identity.
Enhancing the hospital neighborhood, the new structure has an aesthetic relationship with surrounding buildings, including both the adjacent academic medical center and the neighboring Keystone House, an 1836 stone farmhouse that is one of the oldest buildings on campus. Contextually relevant materials were applied in a contemporary way — a combination of brick, stone, and curtain wall relate to surrounding structures and establish the building as an asset for the research and campus communities.
Location: Madison, WI, US