The Cape Dutch Village was one of a number of villages planned for the City of Coral Gables by developer George Merrick in the 1920s in order to add diversity to its predominantly Mediterranean inspired homes. The assemblage of houses was designed by Marion Sims Wyeth and constructed by the American Building Corporation just prior to the hurricane of 1926. The Village was patterned on the early farm houses of the Dutch colonists who settled in Cape Town, South Africa in the seventeenth century. Four of the houses are clustered in a walled compound bounded by Maya Avenue on the east; and the fifth is a freestanding structure located on the corner of Maya Avenue and Le Jeune Road.
The project involved the complete restoration of the historic house located at 6704 Le Jeune Road and included the design of a stoep- an elevated covered terrace, originally proposed along the rear façade of the house but never built, as well as the design of a new garden and outbuildings.
Location: Coral Gables, Florida