Can Cui is currently working at MADA s.p.a.m. Los angeles office as a project Designer. In year 2012, he graduated with Master's degree of Architecture from USC's School of Architecture. Prior to this, he also held a Bachelor's of Architecture from Chongiqng University and a Master's of Architecture from Tianjin University in China. Being sensitive and motivated to Design, Architectural, Urban, visual and all related, Can is interested in utilizing all forms of design as a tool for enhancing the quality of life typical to that of the developing world - his hope is that every design he is involved in will provide opportunity for positive change in the life of the user through innovative and contemporary processes.
While studying at USC, his studio work was included in USC School of Architecture's 2010- 2011 selected works and published in the book. He gained multiple experiences at Yung-ho Chang's Aterlier(FCJZ) in Beijing, and URBAN A&O, LLC at Manhattan, New York.
Can has addressed his graduation thesis titled "Feed the city: Exploration on the ideology and strategies on edible city and productive landscapes" for his master's at Tianjin University. He also has broad concerns about emerging computational tools as means for discovering new 3-dimensional formal and representational typologies in architecture. He is also interested in design at a small and personal scale, specifically that of furniture and lighting.
MADAs.p.a.m., los Angeles, CA, US, Project Designer
• Completely involved through all phases of development, from conceptual to construction documents. Developed computational model, details, and drawings. Presentation /Schematic Design Package preparation /Design Development Phase/ Clients Meeting.
• Involved in construction documents preparation for two projects /Consultant Coordination /Model making /interior & exterior rendering for various projects /Concept and code research.
• Project sizes range from urban planning as well as 7.5 million SF mega commercial + residential complex to small scale villas. Projects locations include China, Japan and the United States.
Urban A&O, New York, NY, US, Intern Architect
• Worked with Joe MacDonald to design two large scale commercial +residential complex projects in China and a competition for National History Museum at Atlanda, US / collaborated on form study / Diagram visualization / Package Preparation/ Clients coordination.
• Graphic Design: Designed firm’s portfolio for marketing.
Atelier FCJZ, Beijing, CN, Intern Architect
• Worked on Qianmen Historic Area Rejuvenation Design, Beijing, China (Commercial Planning) /Norvatis Headquarter, Shanghai, China. Duties included Preliminary massing study /Model making /Architectural drawings /Diagram layout /Design development phase.
University of Southern California (USC), Los Angeles, CA, US, MArch, M.Arch +2
Tianjin University, Tianjin Shi, CN, MArch, Architecture
Chongqing University, Chongqing, CN, BArch, architecture