Project Director/Manager or Design Manager
Senior Architectural Designer
Resourceful professional with wealth of international and domestic experience within the architectural and interior design sector. Talented leader with strong background in guiding complex, turnkey design projects from initial concept through completion, including bid processes, feasibility studies, scope development, and production operations. Well versed in working with all building typologies, and developing design ideas and specifications. Consistently meets budget and schedule parameters, while maintaining high quality standards. Effective communicator with track record for establishing productive relationships with end-users, vendors, and contractors. Skilled in serving as valued team member or leader and using technical and creative abilities to resolve challenging problems and issues. Demonstrated capabilities in state-of-the-art architecture/design tools and computer software; comfortable providing highly technical presentations to diverse audiences. Fluent in English and Spanish.
Architectural Solutions, El Paso, TX, US, Project Manager
ARCHITECTURAL SOLUTIONS • El Paso, TX • 3/2004-4/2014
Architectural/interior design company and furniture dealership serving clients within broad range of sectors.
Interfaced directly with Managing Principal and other Principal leadership in performing architectural work using independent decisions and actions. Facilitated creation of project labor budgets and schedules, and led teams of up to 25 professionals in project planning, schematic design and development, and creation of construction documents. Worked closely with consultants and developed specifications and reports. Orchestrated preparation of architectural plans and renderings, selected materials, and inspected architectural structures in field settings. Produced CAD documents, supervising drafters and communicating extensively with clients and consultants. Oversaw hands-on designing, drawing, and sketching, as well as preparation of design presentation drawings. Mentored junior staff and provided exemplary customer service. Demonstrated strong architectural/design and project management capabilities within commercial, educational, retail, hospitality, healthcare, manufacturing, and residential sectors.
• Played critical role in designing compelling workspace for international law firm that provided balance between service functionality and architecture, overcoming significant structural restrictions. Created design concept utilizing two existing, unmovable columns that included atrium, office space, and building of two additional columns to create symmetrical space. Design created compelling “corporate image” for law firm and contributed to company’s reputation as “solution to any architectural challenge.” Efforts resulted in promotion to design department director.
• Designed and relocated Italian restaurant for chef/owner/client, maintaining desired Tuscan-Mediterranean style and completing project with limited budget, while accounting for leasing contract having expiration date that limited time available for design, construction, and relocation. Worked with client in creating logistic study/plan that led to leasing of vacant contemporary-minimalist restaurant site. Negotiated leasing contract that included partial credit for remodeling efforts. Modified architectural and interior design elements, and reused all transitional fixtures. Created lighted, see-through wall with sculpture/flower arrangement at main entrance becoming iconic feature for restaurant. Designed/furnished menu tablets, table covers, and center pieces. Met project deadline, working two shifts and weekends.
• Spearheaded design of architectural interior of cancer treatment center, overcoming scheduling issues and inherently depressive nature of facility’s purpose to create spa- or resort-like environment. Worked effectively with contractors and subcontractors to complete design operations without damage created from construction activities. Efforts greatly enhanced patients’ comfort and frame-of-mind, as well as establishing company’s credibility within community for designing healthcare facilities. Project completed on-time with high quality results.
• Created fresh, exciting, and inspirational architecture with emphasis on visual impact for East Side Vision Center and retail space within existing facility. Introduced compelling concept using natural materials, such as water, stone, and interior landscaping. Project completed on-schedule and within-budget, while minimizing disruption to daily retail operations. Received promotion to design team leader.
• Demonstrated impressive skills in conducting architecture and furniture design operations for new Lear Corporation manufacturing facility in Mexico, 700 miles from company’s headquarters. Designed space and furniture layouts, meeting changing requirements for location, flexibility, and technology. Facilitated delivery of U.S.-made products to Mexican border for quick delivery to work site, preparing logistics for installers. Satisfied client’s turnkey project requirements on-schedule and with very high quality. Company recognized for architectural design capabilities, as well as logistics and planning services.
Corporate Express, El Paso, TX, US, Territory Market Manager
CORPORATE EXPRESS • El Paso, TX • 3/2002-3/2004
Subsidiary of Staples, world’s largest supplier of office supplies and furniture.
Territory Market Manager – Furniture Division
Held accountable for performing complex furniture space planning, working effectively with branch management and regional furniture divisional manager, as well as local/regional design team. Created and restructured team of eight account managers, providing training/development. Completed project assessment, furniture space planning, furniture/furnishing specifications, and installation documents. Wrote and/or reviewed project reports. Worked closely with consultants, vendors, and manufacturers in evaluating/selecting materials and space plans. Facilitated smooth communications with clients, and supervised drafters. Created design concepts and oversaw design preparation. Completed projects for clients within wide range of industries.
• Contributed significantly to development of interior design niche for company, greatly expanding sole focus on furniture products.
• Interfaced with account manager to develop bid specifications, including interior design for client focusing primarily on furniture products. Customer satisfied with project, accepting budget increase for interior design.
• Completed turnkey project for New Mexico State University that required window treatments, service not provided by company. Researched window treatment options and secured manufacturer representation for region. Met client’s expectation, while generating additional revenue for company.
Haworth, Holland MI, El Paso, TX, US, A&D and Sales Territory Market Manager
HAWORTH • El Paso, TX • 10/1996-9/2001
Company that designs and manufactures adaptable workspaces, including raised floors, movable walls, and office furniture/seating.
A&D Territory Market Manager
Communicated closely with corporate leadership and regional marketing manager to develop/promote market for company’s contract furniture, working with four dealers in Tijuana, BC, Tucson, AZ, El Paso, TX, and Cd. Juarez, Chih. Directed corporate accounts, and interfaced with A&D community to achieve standardization using company’s furniture for their projects. Designed marketing strategic plans and tactical interventions and oversaw websites, brochures, and promotional items. Expanded sales and business account growth by engaging with dealers and end-users. Guided product pricing and distribution processes. Represented company at trade shows and public relations events. Negotiated contracts and trained A&D community and dealers regarding company’s products. Facilitated creation of design specifications, and provided optimal customer service/support. Prepared project schedules and reports for branch, account managers, and customers. Provided critical support to up to 25 account managers.
• Contributed to standardization of Delphi, Haworth dealership with company’s furniture line, resulting in reduction in operating costs for purchasing process. Developed marketing plan for U.S.-Mexico border facilities as manufacturing system evolved through quickly changing requirements for location, flexibility, and technology.
• Created national contract and special pricing agreement with Delphi Design Center for Haworth furniture. Cultivated seamless working relationship between end-user, dealer, and company. Met customer expectations within established budget.
• Interfaced closely with corporate leadership, end-users, and Haworth dealership channel to create marking plan to remain competitive with Motorola, Lexmark, Ford, and Johnson & Johnson. Secured four accounts to furnish company’s furniture, as well as national contracts with Johnson & Johnson. Met customer expectations and remained within established budget.
• Rescued troubled relationship between dealer and customer by working with corporate leadership to service customer directly, creating design and specifications, along with plan analysis from project assessment to completion. Maintained customer account, increasing sales and surpassing quota.
• Introduced Haworth products to U.S. manufacturers opening facilities in Mexico, creating corporate accounts while maintain local customer service channel. Worked with Haworth dealerships in area, as well as architects and interior designers regarding project space planning and product specifications. Trained A&D community regarding product.
Pratt Institute, Brooklyn, NY, US, MArch, Master of Science Architecture and Urban Design
The program focuses on concepts, theory, and representational / generative practices of Urban Design and continues with design studio and seminar courses toward a culminating project at the end of the masters degree.
Urban Design is a continually evolving field. The expansion and contraction of cities, the increasingly intricate systems of economic exchange, along with intense environmental change suggest that new forms of innovative environmental analysis and information sensitive design are necessary. New synthetic strategies for urban and industrial ecologies related to the capacities of rural production are studied in detail.
El Paso Community College, El Paso, TX, US, Assoicate in Architecture
EPCC is focused in design of spaces, concentrated in functional, constructive and aesthetic aspects. ,
The graduate is able to apply concepts and architectural solutions that respond to the environment, historic moment, to become environmentally friendly and provide solutions to the various problems for which they were required
Escuela de Arquitectura Universidad Autonoma de Chihuahua, Chihuahua, MX, BArch, Bachellor in Architecture
The Bachelor of Architecture Program at the Universidad Autonoma de Chihuahua, is a professional program of five years of study. Dedicated to providing an excellent educational experience for students intending to enter the profession of architecture. The primary mission of the School and its programs is to provide a curriculum and educational context that teaches students the means by which they can be responsive to human needs in creating the built environment. Our students must be perceptive, skilled and inventive – capable of acting in a responsible manner in today’s profession, while continuing to learn throughout their lives so as to realize a visionary profession for the future. The most important facet of this educational mission is to instill in our students a strong social consciousness and a desire to be active participants in improving the quality of their communities.
Distinguished Scholarly Achievements and Honors, Honorable Mention
Academic Achievements, 1st Place