Designing and building is a passion of mine. I started my own business - Yorkwood Furniture Co. - designing and building sustainable furniture made from wood salvaged strictly from major local businesses in New York City like Brooklyn Brewery, The Strand, Brooklyn Industries, and others.
I have a Bachelor’s and a Master’s Degree in Building Construction with a Concentration in Sustainability from The University of Florida, I am LEED AP, and have employment experience with major contractors (Skanska, Plaza Construction, etc.) on large construction projects (The UN Headquarters, Miami International Airport, etc.) . Having experienced this industry from the standpoint of both major corporations and the individual entrepreneur, I believe the most effective path towards efficient project execution lies in the hands of smaller sized tight-knit teams. I am passionate about learning and perfecting the art of designing and building – it is what drives me – and I would welcome the opportunity to bring that passion to the right team.
Yorkwood Co., Brooklyn, NY, US, Founder/President
Through a utilitarian approach to design, Yorkwood Co. has managed to establish a furniture line featuring wood strictly salvaged from the New York City community. Why seek out reclaimed wood from distant locations when the local businesses in New York City have excess pallet wood which is often hauled to dumps and wasted?
In order to sustain this furniture line Yorkwood Co. reaches out to businesses in the community, collects their excess pallet wood, and re-purposes it into Yorkwood. We are making furniture that not only improves the community it's made in, but is also a direct reflection of the spirit of the community helping us to salvage their material. Unlike other furniture that may have a positive influence on the space in which it resides, Yorkwood furniture also has a positive impact on the community it was created from. (www.YorkwoodCo.com)
• Founder, President, and CEO Yorkwood Co. Developed a furniture line using all reclaimed wood salvaged from local New York businesses such as The Brooklyn Brewery, The Strand Bookstore, Brooklyn Industries, etc.
• Established ongoing relationships with The Brooklyn Brewery, Brooklyn Industries, The Strand, and other local businesses in order to provide the materials necessary to furnish residences in the Upper East Side, East Village, Park Slope, Williamsburg, Downtown Brooklyn, etc., and to furnish the offices of Baked By Melissa, and Ranger. Due to its unique approach to design Yorkwood Co. was mentioned in Timeout New York, Craines Business, TreeHugger, and Apartment Therapy among other publications. As the President and CEO I managed Metal Workers, Wood Workers, Graphic Designers, Photographers, and Accountants in order to get projects completed in a timely manner.
Skanska USA Building Inc., New York, NY, US, Project Engineer
Skanska USA Building Inc. is the Construction Manager of the United Nations Headquarters Renovation Project. This is a 1.4 billion dollar renovation of approximately 2.6 million square feet in the restoration of six separate buildings.
• Project Engineer for the Architectural Team– Summer 2011- Summer 2012
Reviewed Change Order Cost Estimates, Subcontractor Contracts, Subcontractor T&M Invoices, Submittals, RFIs, Subcontractor Cost Proposals, and Meeting Minutes.
• Document Control for all teams– Winter 2010 – Summer 2011
Redesigned and implemented a new system for handling document control both through paper drawings and electronically, handled meeting minutes, generated Submittal and RFI logs, and fully trained multiple employees to take over document control responsibilities.
Plaza Construction Corp., New York, NY, US, Assistant Project Manager (Intern)
• Summer internship with Plaza Construction in The Bronx, NY. Worked on “The Gateway” project, a LEED Silver certified project to redevelop 16.5 acres of a former food/produce market and the Bronx Mens House of Detention into 1 million square feet of retail space, and its required parking. The 500 million dollar project was then the largest private sector investment in the Bronx, and the fourth largest construction project in the Northeastern part of the United States.
• Managed LEED submittals from all subcontractors, worked on punch lists for subcontractors, and scheduled, coordinated, and executed door deliveries onto the site.
Odebrecht, Miami, FL, US, Project Engineer (Intern)
• Summer internship with Odebrecht Construction Inc., which along with Parsons Construction Inc. built Concourse J, a new multi-million dollar terminal at Miami International Airport.
• Worked side by side with project engineers, design engineers, safety supervisors, inspectors, construction superintendents, assistant project managers, and directly under the supervision of the Project Director in charge of all operations for Odebrecht in the United States (Mr. Luis Arditi).
University of Florida, Gainesville, FL, US, Masters, Building Construction
University of Florida, Gainesville, FL, US, Concentration in Sustainability
University of Florida, Gainesville, FL, US, Bachelors, Building Construction