Archinect
anchor

Frank Lloyd Wright School of Architecture

ArchStudent221

I was wondering if anyone knows anything about the Frank Lloyd Wright School of Architecture. I was interested in particular about the Masters program. Thank you for the comments.

Jan 15, 10 5:14 am
gresham

Have you search previous threads on this site? Taliesin has been discussed at length several times:

Information on Taliesin

Taliesin?

i live very close to taliesin west

Frank Lloyd Wright's Taliesin West School

Jan 15, 10 6:51 am  · 
 · 
Milwaukee08
http://www.taliesin.edu/pages/program.html

I've visited both Taliesin and Taliesin West, though being from Wisconsin I've spent more time in Spring Green.

I did live for 3 weeks at Taliesin while working on some HABS drawings in 2001 and found it to be a very interesting place to possibly attend school.

As for the Masters program, I can't really say too much about it, most of the time we were busy working on our own project there. I did sit in on one crit while I was there, I found the atmosphere a bit more relaxed than what I'm used to, at least from my view as an "outsider", I didn't feel like there was as much pressure put on the students. One of the students (from Taiwan I think) had put drawings of Ewoks from Star Wars in her rendering as entourage, and one of the Fellows (who was in his 80s I think) laughed and said something like, "the little elves are cute". I think that would have been looked down upon in any of the studios at my school.

In general the Fellows were pretty nice and were open to giving whatever advice they thought would be helpful, especially after they got to know you, its a pretty small community after all. That being said, it was sort of an odd situation, considering that some people have lived their for decades, and you're basically "moving in" to their home.

Students take turns doing things like helping the chef cook meals, etc. Though when I was there, the chef made excellent food.

You can check out their website for more info, and if that isn't enough I'd just shoot them an email.

Jan 15, 10 9:52 am  · 
 · 
mespellrong

I used R2-D2 and C3P-0 for scale in almost every rendering I made in Architecture school and no one even noticed — not even after I told several faculty I had been doing it.

Jan 15, 10 1:29 pm  · 
 · 
ArchStudent221

gresham - thanks for the links, ill check them out

Milwaukee08 - thanks for the insight, it still leaves me wondering about 1 concern...

...could they just be using the name to attract students, the tuition isn't cheap and where is the line drawn between laid back and inattentive?

Jan 15, 10 8:35 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: