Archinect
anchor

HELP! Grocery Store Dimensions/Sizes/Blueprints

SuperBeatledud

Working on my Thesis, and after months thesisizing, I'm just now working on floor plans. It's a Grocery Cooperative in Over-The-Rhine, Cincinnati. Currently, I have 30,000 sq ft of alloted space, but there's things I'm not aware of such as shelf sizes, aisle sizes, general room around check outs, storage, loading, etc. Does anyone have resources or sites that explain these limitations?

Also, has anyone worked on a grocery store and would be willing to share a blueprint? If not a CAD drawing, maybe a PDF? It's for academia, promise, and it would be subsequently destroyed after use for reference. Email me if so.

Thanks for the info!

Apr 17, 08 11:18 pm
oxbow

have you tried graphic standards? I would start there....

Apr 17, 08 11:52 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

^amazing how many ppl don't know of that book

Apr 17, 08 11:54 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ
Apr 17, 08 11:56 pm  · 
 · 
SuperBeatledud

No book on me and the libraries closed.

Apr 18, 08 12:00 am  · 
 · 
kanu

the libraries closed? are you trying to do a thesis overnight?

Apr 18, 08 1:54 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

^Lemme know how that works out for you

Apr 18, 08 2:28 am  · 
 · 
ff33º

wait, I got it...mock up a grocery isle from stuff in your cabinet,...then interpolate on isle and shelving sizes,

Apr 18, 08 2:31 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

shelves = 6-8 cereal boxes deep
produce shelves = 10-12 oranges deep x waist height
shopping cart = shoulder width

Apr 18, 08 2:39 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

+/-

Apr 18, 08 2:40 am  · 
 · 
spaceman spiff

amazon is always open.

Metric Handbook: Planning and Design Data:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0750608994/ref=sib_dp_pt#reader-link

Human Dimension and Interior Space:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0823072711/ref=sib_dp_pt#reader-link

former is better for general layouts and planning principles, latter gives excellent references for retail display dimensions.

Apr 18, 08 5:51 am  · 
 · 
won and done williams

be a freak. go to your local piggly wiggly and start pacing off dimensions. they won't let you take pictures. guaranteed. but you should be able to get basic shelf heights and aisles dims before the management kicks you out.

Apr 18, 08 8:25 am  · 
 · 
4arch

For gross square footage, 20-30k sounds about right for a co-op or organic grocery. A typical suburban strip mall "neighborhood" type grocery store might be 40-80k SF, newer ones being larger. A warehouse club or walmart type grocery store is 100-150k SF and up!

Apr 18, 08 8:34 am  · 
 · 
snook_dude

Sounds like you need a night time job stocking shelves.

Apr 18, 08 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
spark

Kroger is based in Cincinnati. Call up the HQ, ask for the facilities or engineering department and see how far you get...

Apr 18, 08 1:01 pm  · 
 · 
nasileyn

hey check your email... i did some retail work on co-op these should help you out.

Apr 18, 08 5:08 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: