Archinect
anchor

blue foam

cj w.

Hi all
I am wondering where I could purchase the blue foam that I often see in Herzog / OMA's books featuring their scaled study models.
Does anyone have any idea where i could get the same quality foam? Is there one available in southeast asia?

thank you.

Nov 9, 07 12:42 pm
mdler

isnt it just extruded polystyrene???

Nov 9, 07 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
cj w.

i dunno mdler...
but id be interested to know where i could procure one...

Nov 9, 07 12:46 pm  · 
 · 
Urbanist

home depot in the insulation dept. They come in pink, blue or white, but any given home depot will generally only stock one color at a time... They're sold in massage 9' sheets but you can ask them to cut it for you to facilitate transportation

Nov 9, 07 12:50 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

it's not polystyrene, i don't think.

it's high density foam, used for insulation.

maybe try this place. they have a distributor in japan.

Nov 9, 07 12:53 pm  · 
 · 
Urbanist

MIT really did have me pick up loads of the stuff at home depot (in my capcity at RA) for use in the studios in which i had teaching or research responsibilities. I don't know if this is precisely the same stuff they use at OMA but with a good cutting manifold device the result and look is the same. And when i visited NL architects in Holland i saw the same blue stuff, i askd and they confirmed that they did indeed order insulation sheets en masse from a building supplies company.

Nov 9, 07 1:17 pm  · 
 · 

I don't think I've ever bought that stuff. They usually come in high end packaging for computer hardware...usually about 5" to 6" wide. Check your local pc store or at least their garbage stock.

Nov 9, 07 1:21 pm  · 
 · 
manamana

I grew up in the town where they manufacture that stuff.

incidentally, the same town is also the home of napalm, agent orange, DDT, Dioxin, saran wrap, ziploc bags, and silicone breast implants.

It is extruded polystyrene. the blue sheets you buy at home depot are a particular configuration that is different than the thicker blocks manufactured for commercial applications. The commercial product is more rigid, and a slightly darker blue.

http://www.dow.com/styrofoam/na/pro-us/wheretobuy.htm

Nov 9, 07 1:39 pm  · 
 · 
nambypambics

Don't forget to get a hotwire to cut it!

Nov 9, 07 1:39 pm  · 
 · 
manamana

yes, but make sure to keep the wire at a minimum temp needed to cut. Get it too hot and it'll get nasty (toxic)

Nov 9, 07 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

yeah, wear a mask!

Nov 9, 07 1:51 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

manamana

how many arms do you have??? 3, 4, 5???

Nov 9, 07 2:14 pm  · 
 · 
manamana

2 arms... So I lucked out there. But then again I don't need a thong to make my crotch look like an elephant's face...I've got the eyes and everything.

Nov 9, 07 2:29 pm  · 
 · 
khmay

dont forget to huff it, as everyone in my office is now

Nov 12, 07 6:45 pm  · 
 · 
waxwings

blue = xeps
pink = polyiso
white = beer/fish cooler

Nov 12, 07 7:11 pm  · 
 · 
dml955i

manamana must've grown up in Jersey...

Nov 12, 07 7:44 pm  · 
 · 
rabbits

There is also green extruded foam insulation.

Nov 12, 07 8:31 pm  · 
 · 
binary

if you have a battery charger for a car you can make your home made hot wire...... ask how i know......... on some mcgyver type shyt

b

Nov 12, 07 8:33 pm  · 
 · 
manamana

naw....the home of the plastic boob is somewhere in Michigan.

Nov 12, 07 11:31 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: