Archinect
anchor

UCLA vs. Berkeley - MArch

gggg

Sorry - Is there something I am missing. Why did you choose to spend and extra 20k and go into a program you were too qualified for? If you did making and meaning with an architecture degree there is something really wrong. I also know a few people who didn't like MArch II so they skipped the first year of the MArch I and went straight into second year. If you can barely got into SCIArc I don't know how UCLA will let you in- Plus if you are not a California resisdent UCLA is fairly pricey too--- In terms of rationalist - Did you read what he wrote - I think everyone has a right to respond when someone who is extremely dismissive. He definitly knew what he was going to get by writing a post like that and then trying to act all innocent afterwards. Plus you always run into people like this in architecture school - people don't like them so they try to find a way around it. It's especially better when they don't recognize it.

Dec 23, 05 10:46 am  · 
 · 
howdyho

FYI I have only posted in this thread under one alias (howdyho).

I just want to repeat that I did like some of Jesse's work and his work ethic was quite high from what I could tell. But yeah, not many people liked him.

I am usually not one to talk behind people's back (not that it's a good or bad thing)...but from what I've heard, I can say that a lot of people talk shit about him behind his back. And I can see where it comes from...

I think we can all admit that Sci-Arc does have problems that you would never find in a university setting. But like all things, it's a give and take situation. And that's why sci-arc isn't for everybody I guess. I mean it took some time for me to accept it...but I thought about it this way; if you can cope with sci-arc then you can cope pretty much anywhere else. For me, it's a mental exercise to carry on there and it takes some extra will...but at the end of it, you would have learnt a lot about yourself (not talking architecture here). Sci-arc really tests my perserverence.

Anyway dooho, you sparked me to post here because you were being a jerk and your statements were totally contradictory, generalized and degrading.

Dec 23, 05 11:12 am  · 
 · 
archit84

dooho,
I understand where u are coming from. The student body at my school is disappointing to say the least. Before I went to school I always thought archy school is what you made of it. However, after attending 1.5 years I've come to learn that the students around you will either push you farther than you thought you could go or just bring you down. It is hard to drop a program and start over. Good for you. I really believe many people treat grad school as social hour and do the min to get by. These are the same people that treat work as social hour. There is nothing wrong with that at all. Whatever makes people happy is fine w/me. I think it comes down to this; when you play golf to fill your foursome you want to find three golfers that are better than you. Golf is just more fun when there are really good golfers in the group. You learn from them and they don't slow down the round. If you get three other golfers that are not very good the round is rather boring. Archy school can be similar.

Dec 23, 05 1:41 pm  · 
 · 
ret

dohoo had the courage to make a decision which he thought was good for him. which everyone will agree is a good thing.
howdyho started a personal diatribe against him, when doohoo's concerns seem absolutely valid for a non sci-arc "outsider".
i don't think this thread had anything to do personally with any particular sci-arc student untill howdyho started his "attack".
I guess one should refrain from generalizations, but i don't think its fair to attack someone you know/knew on a discussion forum, especially when you did'nt have the ba**s to do it when you were in front of the person. Also, when someone makes a statement relating to a larger body of people, there's bound to be generalizations, but it is up to your maturity to read between the lines, and getthe jist of where he/she's coming from.
Having said that, i think you all need to exercise some restraint for the larger interest of the "discussion". Come on now, grow up!

Dec 23, 05 2:51 pm  · 
 · 
JesseD

"Internet tough guys"…. hmm... next time you should use “I know you are, but what am I?”- I haven’t heard that line in ages! Aren’t you tired of projecting? I guess for you it’s easier to believe that we’re all the same guy, hanging out by the ping pong table. Who knows, maybe before we all caught wind of it yesterday, it might’ve been. The point is, you were in our class, we know who you are and we know that your comments were about us- so it is personal. Don't cop out…if you’re going to make comments, that’s your prerogative, but then don’t be surprised when people, particularly those that you’re talking about respond. This isn’t about spreading hatred; this is about putting some of your observations into context. Complain about the facilities, about administration whatever- but you crossed the line when you took it to students that you barely knew, because roughly outside of class time, you were never there. So if you’re really done and points are taken, then I’m done.

Dec 23, 05 2:57 pm  · 
 · 
MMatt

Repost of....

red vs. blue, internet vs. real life

Because it's still true.

.mm

Dec 23, 05 4:14 pm  · 
 · 
gggg

Are you kidding about the courage - its fine to make a decision but it doesn't take courage to leave a place where you are not fitting in. You should probaly read his comments because he slags off an entire class. There was no hidden sub-text so could you please explain the "read between the lines." Its actually up to him to to defend himself after he made those comments. Its up to people to call him - What is the larger discussion - Should he go to UCLA - probaly - is Berkley different - yes - done I also think you can write balls -

Sweet golf comment for above -

Dec 23, 05 4:18 pm  · 
 · 
archit84

MM
i have learned that there is no such thing as the real world.

Dec 23, 05 5:08 pm  · 
 · 
archit84

oh yeah
and UCLA has the best Football team out of the three schools,
so I would go there.
Also, consider USC, even though Bush and Matt L are gonna be gone next year the team should be solid....they offer archy school too, do it.

Dec 23, 05 5:11 pm  · 
 · 
gggg

ucla basketball

Dec 23, 05 5:13 pm  · 
 · 

you're just trying to bait me with that, aren't you archit84?

Dec 23, 05 5:17 pm  · 
 · 
dooho

guess that means you are un-inviting me to the clippers game, huh zach?

oh well. merry christmas to all.

Dec 23, 05 11:16 pm  · 
 · 
and/or

This discussion is a true soap opera. hilarious and sad.

Dec 23, 05 11:53 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Ha ha yeah. It has replaced the repeat OC for me.

Dec 24, 05 12:31 am  · 
 · 
nixietube

whoa! its been a few days since i visited, and this place has degenerated so much, it reminds me of the bad old days of the pre-registration archinect. do you guys ripping into dooho realize how little moral authority you have, leveling anonymous, personal attacks against a former classmate in a public forum? you're hysterical defensiveness reflects poorly on sci_arc's student body. c'mon- have a shred of integrity.

anyrod, garpike, if you're in the mood for a rematch, i'll be at LAX, sunday. . .

Dec 28, 05 11:22 pm  · 
 · 
StudioWookie

this might be on a tangent......but......where is CAL POLY POMONA in all of this......are they not to be included???

Dec 29, 05 3:34 am  · 
 · 
kim l.

a little late on my response, but man this was entertaining!

Aug 29, 06 4:00 am  · 
 · 
troglodite

Just to give people an up-to-date assessment of the state of the machines in UCLA's shop, this past year has seen an enormous improvement over previous years. They've hired a new, energetic shop director and he's revamped everything. New mill, 2 new 3D printers, new laser, and more on the way. Higher safety standards. Some new "old tech" machinery and an overhaul of the space itself. Everything runs all the time. That's not to say there won't be the inevitable problems caused by end-of-quarter use crunches but that's true anyplace. And they now get fixed immediately.

In other words, UCLA no longer has technology problems and, given the committment of Philip no longer will as long as he's around. Forget everything you've heard in the past, completely new standards have been set.

Sep 2, 06 7:56 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: