Archinect
anchor

Question about transferring to college with B.Arch from community college. (Cal Poly Pomona or Cal Poly SLO

Minujin

Hi! I'm currently living in California. I am planning to transfer to Public University with B.Arch like Cal Poly Pomona or Cal Poly SPO. So I was doing research and found this website (https://www.cab.ca.gov/candida...) by searing California Community College with Architecture Program. As you can see there are community colleges with Architecture program. So does that mean that I have to go one of those listed Community College to be able to transfer as B. Arch Major? or they are just listing Community Colleges with Architecture Program. 

The reason why I'm worried is that I'm planning to go to 2 community colleges which River City College and Mt. San Antonio College. RCC is not listed on that website which means they don't have a Arch major, so I will need to apply as Physics or Math. But Mt. San Antonio College has Architecture major.

The reason why I'm planning to go to 2 college is that RCC is closer from my house and I want to take basic classes that are articulated by (https://assist.org/transfer/re...) assist website. Which is AH 2301, COM 2204, ENG 2105, MAT 1060, PHY 1210, and PHY 1510. But  arch classes are not articulated by CPP nor CP SPO. So that means I have to go Community College that had articulated Arch Classes right? And I found Mt. San Antonio College is the closest from my house. 

From (https://www.cpp.edu/env/archit...) Cal Poly Pomona B. Arch Admission part, it says I need to take those classed to be placed on 1st or 2nd or 3rd years and depends on my portfolio as well. I kinda don't get what's the meaning by that. I thought B. Arch program is 5 years long program and why is there only 3 years. \

Anyway I had so many questions and asked to many counselors from community college and cpp and cp spo, but nobody really could answer my questions well. Please help me... I need many advise from person who also transfer from California Community College to University with B. Arch. Please please help this a student who is ready to study in Architecture field!!!

Thanks for reading my questions carefully. <3

Jul 14, 22 1:19 pm
Stasis

I think you can go to multiple CCs to fulfill GE and transfer requirements for 4 years universities.  I have done that in the past for the same reasons you have. You'd just to need to check classes are transferable to Cal Polys.  When I went to CCs more than 20 years ago, the admissions offices typically have transferable courses for each major.. For instance, Physics xxx in a CC equates to Physics yyy in Cal Poly.  Admissions office should be able to guide you one this. 

Once you complete the GE courses and lower division Arch courses, Cal Poly schools will determine whether you can transfer as 1st, 2nd or 3rd year there to continue your education towards B.Arch, so you can potentially spend 3, 4, 5 more years at Cal Polys.  In addition to the required courses, the website you provided states a portfolio review for the school to determine the placement..   This is similar to a graduate school almost.  It'd be suck to be placed as a 1st year as it defeats the purpose of transferring.   

I transferred to Berkeley from a CC and they always accept students at 3rd year, and everyone just need to do 2 more years.  You don't want to consider Berkeley?

Jul 14, 22 5:47 pm  · 
1  · 
Minujin

Hi! Thanks for explaining it really nicely! I wanted to go to Cal Poly Pomona to get it done quicker! Because UC Berkely has only M. Arch program and I don’t know if I will be able to get in after I graduate from UC Berkely… Could you tell me your side of thought?

Jul 15, 22 1:57 am  · 
 · 
Stasis

This was discussed in another thread before. Berkeley does offer BA in Architecture.   You need to go for  M.Arch, if you want to get licensed outside of the state of CA. If you want to practice in CA, BA from Cal is sufficient for the licensure, provided that you fulfill the internship hours requirement. Then, just 4 years to practice architecture in CA. Even if you go to MArch, it's 2-3.5 years, so you'll spend about 6 to 7.5 total years. Cal Polys offer great tuition rate, so there is advantage in that.

Jul 16, 22 4:21 pm  · 
1  · 
Minujin

ohh ok! Thanks!

Jul 16, 22 4:27 pm  · 
 · 
Stasis

Forgot to mention. with 4+2 programs, you can always work in between your BA and then apply for M.Arch. I'd highly recommend people to do so, as you learn so much from the professional field. Also, it may inspire specific areas you want to focus in your graduate programs. Another advantage in this path is working can help you pay down your student loan and build up savings for Grad program (unless you get a full ride scholarship). Sad reality in this field is that you don't make much in the beginning, so it's prudent to minimize any debt. Some may argue that you pursue your dream/passion and everything else will follow. While having a dream and motivation is important, mature person knows how to balance that with reality.

Jul 16, 22 4:50 pm  · 
1  · 
Minujin

thanks for good advice! I never heard of that way!

Jul 17, 22 2:36 am  · 
 · 
spark88

Cal Poly Pomona has a 5 year studio sequence.  They will review your portfolio and place you accordingly.  Most people get placed into the 2nd year after 2 years of CC.  Conservatively, you will spend 6 years combined.  Berkeley and other BA Arch programs are more traditional in that you will do GEs for 2 years and architecture classes for 2 years.  In this scenario, you may be placed into the third year.  Like you mentioned, you would have to continue on to an M Arch.  I heard ELAC has similar studio classes to CPP and may place you straight into 3rd year.  You should confirm.   

Jul 15, 22 11:42 am  · 
2  · 
Minujin

Thanks for replying! I really appreciate your response! How long is M. Arch course?

Jul 15, 22 1:44 pm  · 
 · 
spark88

If you can get in and afford straight into a 5 year program, that would be well advised.  Fiver year programs are like small communities that develop over that time.  You will form bonds with instructors and students that you will carry over into your career.  I also noticed some transfers always felt like they didn't fit in or took the a while to do so.  The first year is also very formative in that you will get into the conceptual design direction of a particular program.   

Jul 15, 22 11:57 am  · 
3  · 
tinasha46242676

An interesting change of location for training. I hope it will benefit you! 

Nov 22, 22 11:57 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: