Archinect
anchor

How about finishing BA in UK and going to m.arch in US?

marlonseong

Hello, I'm student in South Korea.

My goal is to get an architect license in the US.

But, I felt that the cost and time of an US undergraduate program was too much.

Korea in general, have to do a master, so I'm not thinking of a five-year b.arch in the US.

Therefore, I want to do m.arch in the US after completing a 3-year BA in the UK.

My question is, are there many architecture students taking the same course as me?

And in art schools like CSM and KINGSTON, is architecture at a disadvantage in practice? There is not much information, so I am worried that I will learn only conceptual things.

Thank you!

Jul 11, 22 10:31 am
monosierra

Why not just do your undergrad in SK and then go to the US for an MArch? I have encountered UK graduates - both British and non-British - who moved to the US for their Masters but I've also encountered more South Koreans who simply did their undergrad in SK. Both groups ended up in the same MArch program in the US despite taking different paths, and are equally skilled IMO. I'd assume SK college was cheaper than a British degree.

Jul 11, 22 12:10 pm  · 
 · 
marlonseong

Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately, for my personal reasons, I can't go to university in South Korea.

I previously dropped out of university in my country.

Jul 11, 22 12:21 pm  · 
 · 
monosierra

Ah I see. Well, if you could skip national service too - why not.

Jul 11, 22 12:58 pm  · 
 · 
monosierra

To your point about the quality of schools ... the UK graduates I've encountered went to the AA, Bartlett, and Cambridge. Very different styles, but all excellent designers.

I personally don't think one's undergrad pedagogy would necessarily handicap one's portfolio - it ultimately boils down to the individual.

But you should be wary of degree mills and the poor reputation of some notorious faculties, as publicized on this website and others. Internal administrative turmoil and poor academic resources could make student life difficult to bear. The Bartlett was on that list.

CSM is excellent for fashion, IIRC. Not sure about their architecture department. 

Jul 11, 22 1:10 pm  · 
 · 
marlonseong

Thanks for your advice, have a nice day!

Jul 11, 22 11:43 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: