Archinect
anchor

Michigan Grad student life

architecture?

Hi all! I'm an incoming 3 year MArch student at Michigan and am wondering what to expect for social life and how much students interact with each other outside of studio? Don't know anybody in Ann Arbor so I'd be hoping to make close friendships that go beyond studio collaboration. Any current or past Michigan students have thoughts or advice for me? Thanks!

Jun 15, 22 3:32 pm

The only thing I'm qualified to comment on here. I did an m.Arch (3.5 year) and a 1.5 year m.Sci there about a decade ago.

Ann Arbor is a nice liberal college town in the midwest that is more similar to the east coast than the rest of its surroundings.

You will likely spend most of your time in studio, and will make close friends through the shared trauma of over work and under sleep that you go through. Likely you will have a hard time making relationships with non-arch students as they won't get the level of time and involvement you spend at your desk in studio, but it's pretty easy to get involved in some club/sport activities if you want.

There's a variety of ideologies/methodologies in the professors, but some of my favorites were Craig Borum and Christian Unvergzagt.

Jun 16, 22 2:50 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: