Archinect
anchor

Career advice needed

I am an aspiring student inclined to interior designing. I switched from finance background to interior design to pursue my passion. I am  already enrolled in an institute where I learned about the software portion of the designing using Auto-cad to floor plan and Sketchup to elaborate the design. Recently, I found about an diploma course intended for online from Interior Design Institute (IDI). As I hope to move in Canada next year, I thought it would be a good shot but I am in a dilemma. Since I want to learn about the more in depth about interior design, I need to focus on specific portion to forward my path. Will this Diploma from Interior Design Institute be helpful for me to enlarge my views and scope for the future opportunity or do I need alternative source to engage on? If I really need alternative way which sources can suffice my objective to be an independent interior designer? 

Thanks in advance.

May 30, 22 12:02 pm
Non Sequitur

int des is still mostly a college-level degree in canada (with some exceptions).  NCIDQ should be your main resource for diploma/course applicability but a quick glance at IDI tells me this is for the weekend-warrior decorator crowd than fresh students.

https://www.cidq.org/

May 30, 22 12:30 pm  · 
 · 
robhaw

Hello Non, I hope all is well. I would kindly like to ask if you could please provide some insight into my thread 'internship at an envelope contractor'. It would be much appreciated.

May 30, 22 3:33 pm  · 
 · 

My dear Non.

May 31, 22 5:31 am  · 
1  · 

My dear Non ,Thank you for your valuable reply. As I am from a Finance background and want to switch this to Interior design, I am a little ambiguous about what I should do next for my approach. In Canada, which university will be better for myself to start on regarding my age?

May 31, 22 9:45 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^ Can't really say much in terms of school since there are so many different int des schools/programs in canada. Your best option is first to look at what each province requires for int-des membership (ARIDO if interested in ontario) and go from there city-by-city. Not many universities offer int-des degrees but most colleges do. You just need to verify that the degree is valid under NCIDQ before making the jump.

May 31, 22 11:13 am  · 
 · 

Thank u so much for your valuable suggestion.

Jun 1, 22 5:49 am  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

This might be a good place to start: Council for Interior Design Accreditation (CIDA). CIDA-Accredited degrees are not required everywhere (CIDQ gives the same credit for "equivalent" CIDA and non-CIDA degrees), but an accredited degree will generally open the most doors for you.

Jun 1, 22 9:45 pm  · 
 · 
arhiarhi design group

get into BIM as doon as possible

Jun 19, 22 1:22 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: