Archinect
anchor

Should I take a break from Architecture?

W_tan

To those reading this, I’m hoping to get some insight on my dilemma.

I’m currently a second year architecture degree student and I’m wondering is it too late for me to drop the course now and transfer to another one? (It should be noted that I only have one more year before I graduate with a bachelor degree)

The reason I entered into the programme in the first place was because I was told it was a study where I could let my imagination fly and that I would do great in this field because of my grades. I believed in this, so I took a chance and went with it.

At first every thing seemed fine, I truly did enjoy the course and its learning outcomes. But everything seemed to have just went downhill from there. The more I learned the more I lost interest in the course. 

Looking at the passion and determination in the eyes of my classmate, it feels unfamiliar to me. They’re able to power through the workload and continuously go past their limits, but I seem to just stay in the same place as I was before, no improvement whatsoever. It’s like I’m the holding everyone back during group assignments. I know that they’re just as tired doing all the work that is assigned but it seems like they’re able to keep pushing themselves farther than before, while I just do the bare minimum now. I no longer have the will to impress the teachers with the work I do, it’s like I’m just doing it because I was asked to and nothing more. Most times I no longer even have the will to complete the work and put it off for as long as I can by finding a reason a as to why I can’t do it now or just spend more time on my phone so I can avoid it.

My second year last semester ends in 3 weeks. I’ve talked about all this to my parents, and what they’re telling me to do is to continue on with it because a bachelor’s degree in architecture will prove to be extremely useful in the future, or to at least finish the current semester and take a break from it for a while and come back when i feel like it. They’re letting me chose if I want to take on another course if I choose to take a break from architecture, but they still tell I should complete the architecture course afterwards because it would be a waste if I didn’t complete it after having just one more year till graduation.

I understand my parents concern but I truly no longer find any motivation in continuing on with the course, but it feels too wasteful to just abandon it now that I only have one more year to go. If I take a break from it now, I’m not sure if I’ll ever pick up the motivation to continue taking it and putting up with the workload.

Sorry for ranting on for quite a while, but can I have someones opinion on this?

Apr 2, 22 1:10 pm
Non Sequitur

a bachelor degree in architecture might be useful... but the real point here is the bachelor degree part, not the major since many places require a bachelor degree (any bachelor) for employment and it is a pre-requisite for any Master degrees.   If you really can't stomach the arch part, see if you qualify for another tangential field (such as art history) or at worst, mail-it-in for the last year and move on. 

Apr 2, 22 5:17 pm  · 
4  · 

Agree with NS. 

Finish it.

Apr 2, 22 7:35 pm  · 
 · 
KatherineP

Maybe take a year off to figure yourself out, you could internship somewhere. You might find something in this field you enjoy? Architecture/design is actually pretty broad and it can open doors to many different jobs. Think about what you actually enjoy and see if there is a middle ground between both. I do think it's a waste to leave when you have a year left. If you end up figuring out what you want to do, having this would be good to pursue a masters in something you want instead. At the end of the day though, if you really can't take it after taking a break, then it's ultimately your choice if you want to quit. 

Apr 3, 22 4:26 am  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: