Archinect
anchor

Accepted to RISD, IIT, and MIT for M.Arch I. What do you recommend?

nicetomeetyou

I'm curious to hear about the reputation of the schools and students in 2022. Plus any firsthand knowledge of how graduates perform out in the real world! 

I've read that RISD has a higher ROI (return-on-investment) compared to other M.Arch programs; MIT's reputation precedes it, but I can't find many graduates to speak to; and IIT almost seems worth it just to experience the campus and city of Chicago.

What do you think are the pro's and con's of each program?

Mar 10, 22 3:26 pm
Non Sequitur

The only ROI on architecture school is when you pay no tuition. 

Mar 10, 22 3:32 pm  · 
2  ·  1
nicetomeetyou

Ha! Yeah I believe it. Though I figure with the right attitude and an entrepreneurial bent, I'll find out how to make the finances work to pursue a career I feel proud of.

This is the ROI study I was referencing: https://thirtybyforty.com/what...

Mar 10, 22 3:35 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

That study is interesting but it's pretty silly. The value you have to an office is not determined by the school (and tuition bill) you graduate from. Value is achieved with real experience gained while actually designing real buildings with real clients. Anyways, you'll find better info if you compare tuition costs with reported entry-level salaries. Use this https://salaries.archinect.com/ and filter with unlicensed and sub 3y experience to see where your ROI get you.

Mar 10, 22 3:48 pm  · 
nicetomeetyou

wow! that is an incredible resource. Thank you so much for sharing.

Mar 10, 22 3:57 pm  · 
 · 
nicetomeetyou

It looks like

Mar 10, 22 3:58 pm  · 
 · 
nicetomeetyou

It looks like I could expect to save ~$145,000 in my first 5 years as an unlicensed architecture grad. That's enough to cover loans and then some. After that, it is a lifetime of enjoyable work and a net profit to my savings account.

This $145k profit assumes:
Year 0 - 2 income at $48k
Year 3-5 income at $60k
20% annual taxes
$20k annual rent / food expenditure

Mar 10, 22 4:10 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

so you'll save 100% of your net income after rent? That's not how it works.

Mar 10, 22 4:26 pm  · 
2  · 
nicetomeetyou

Of course not!

This is just a back of the envelope calculation and the annual income is a conservative estimate. Just meant to demonstrate it is not unreasonable to earn a positive ROI on a master's degree in architecture, since a lot of the commentary on this website seems to speak to the opposite.

Mar 10, 22 5:03 pm  · 
 · 
frank2022

@gehrypleasedtomeetyou congratulations on all your acceptances! Do you mind sharing when you heard from MIT?

Mar 10, 22 9:22 pm  · 
 · 
nicetomeetyou

Hey frank, I am doing a bit of projecting. I haven't actually heard from MIT yet, since they do not release admission decisions until April 1st. But if I act like I got in, maybe they'll really say yes!

Mar 11, 22 7:08 am  · 
 · 
nicetomeetyou

I figured I would rather make this thread once and gather people's opinions than have to make a second thread if MIT accepts me. Sorry for the confusion!

Mar 11, 22 7:09 am  · 
 · 
reallynotmyname

Living on only $1,666 a month is going to be difficult in a lot of cities in the USA.   The places where it's actually possible will tend to not have many good architecture jobs.

Mar 11, 22 10:23 am  · 
 · 
nicetomeetyou

Hey, totally agree. $1,666 is quite low. But a $48k annual salary is ~$3,300/month after taxes. Lop off another $1,500 per month for rent and then we're living on a cool $1,800 per month. Of course, food is a necessity. As is healthcare, car insurance, dental, vision, utilities, phone etc. Gas, maybe, depending on local situation. Ideal? No. But I think it is endurable long enough to get a license and then start making closer to $70k / annually, which is getting into that range where you can have a proper, financially-stable life. Sure, not the richest person by far, but more than enough for a family, partner, good food, and occasional trips, and still doing better than many others on this planet. All that, and you get to spend maybe 10 - 15% of your time actually designing buildings? Pretty good deal!

Mar 11, 22 11:25 am  · 
 · 
dougy99

I like the way you think, gehrypleasetomeetyou

Mar 11, 22 1:07 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Gehry... how long do you think it take to get a license? How much do you know about the profession?

Mar 11, 22 1:11 pm  · 
 · 
nicetomeetyou

So I'll be 24 when I start grad school. 27 when I get out. Licensed by 30 after 3 years of IDP hours and ARE licensure testing.

Mar 12, 22 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

3y IDP if lucky.

Mar 12, 22 2:43 pm  · 
1  · 
nicetomeetyou

Hey, got to set ambitious plans right?! if I come up short and get it done in 4 years, that's still a license to practice!

Mar 20, 22 8:59 pm  · 
 · 
reallynotmyname

What kind of firm do you plan to work in?

Mar 12, 22 5:48 pm  · 
 · 
nicetomeetyou

Still a lot to learn and decide on before then! Currently I work for a smaller general contracting firm as the in-house unlicensed framing planner. It is quite rewarding, both generally and financially, and a big reason why I am pursuing M.Arch / Licensure. I'd like to start my own firm as soon as possible after gaining a license, but I do intend to work for a medium-to-large sized firm in a metropolitan zone, such as NYC, Chicago, Boston, SF, LA, etc. for my IDP years to see how architecture works "at scale".

Mar 20, 22 8:58 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: