Archinect
anchor

Rhino Workflow Advice PLEASE

starkkitect

I've always had this problem with my 3d modeling workflow and I'm in dire need of advice to save time, work and headaches..

I started learning 3d modeling with sketchup and later learned rhino. I'm more comfortable with the 'sketch' like interface of sketchup where you intuitively just draw lines on a surface to spontaneously divide a surface into two then push/pull the divided surface etc. So I always end up doing most of my modeling on sketchup. More comfortable and flexible.

Then I export my sketchup to rhino for grasshopper work/rhino plugin work/rendering etc. Usually at this stage most of the 3d modeling is already done including slabs, walls, pillars, windows etc. This is where the headaches start.

I import the sketchup model as trimmed planes since I figured they would be easier to convert into closed polysurfaces. (Don't even get me started on how frustrated I get when I can't convert some parts as closed polysurfaces due to 0.01mm wide openings in my sketchup model) I want them as polysurfaces because I want to be able to edit my model within rhino as I make finishing touches and correct errors.

However the size of the model becomes enormous (like at least 1.5gb when it's just a B.Arch 3rd year architecture project) making it really slow. Some parts of the model end up being open polysurfaces which really makes me want to punch the monitor since I can't edit those shapes.

1. When do you convert your model from polysurfaces to meshes? I discovered that converting to meshes really decreases the model file size but doesn't allow me to make any changes to the model (besides materials?) Would it be wise to convert them just before I start doing vray work? What if I needed to make changes to the model after I converted them to meshes?

2. Should I import my sketchup models as meshes in the first place instead of trimmed planes? Can I still edit the shapes of my model even so?

3. I want to hear about your rhino modeling workflow. Also any advice on a more efficient, time-saving rhino modeling workflow would be very nice.

Thank you.

Feb 28, 22 11:59 am
monosierra

You really should just do everything in Rhino, not only because it saves you the hassle of not having to import/convert but also because you're more likely to use Rhino in a professional environment. It's very fast and easy to use.

Feb 28, 22 1:08 pm  · 
1  · 
ivanmillya

Absolutely not necessarily true. The residential sector still heavily relies on programs like Sketchup for concept and presentation modeling. I can't tell you how frustrating it is to have fresh grads come into the office with zero Revit knowledge, almost no AutoCAD knowledge, no Sketchup knowledge, and know everything there is with Rhino.

Feb 28, 22 3:46 pm  · 
 · 
acnearc

I agree with monosierra - modeling in Rhino from the jump would save you so many headaches. But, if you need a workaround I would suggest turning everything into a mesh, and then use the MeshToNURBS command. It may take a while depending on how large your geometry is so make sure to save and be prepared to sit back and watch the wheel spin. This will change the mesh back into a polysurface and hopefully create closed loops so you can then explode/edit/trim/join/etc. 

Feb 28, 22 1:29 pm  · 
 · 

Going between the two softwares can be fairly painfull hence why i would recommend you stick to one and learn it. Rhino has push and pull tools as well that will mimick sketchup, and one you really learn it you can model everything.

I remember back in the day we would go from rhino to sketchup because of VRAY, but now most firms use lumion so you dont really need to do that. And vray is available for rhino as well.

But as someone stated the best method would be as a mesh, but then to conver that into polysurface and pray it doesnt crash.

Feb 28, 22 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
starkkitect

is "moveface" the rhino pushpull tools that you refer to?

Feb 28, 22 10:11 pm  · 
 · 
starkkitect

also it's not necessarily the push/pull function itself that I need in rhino. I want to be able to spontaneously draw a line on a surface so that it divides accordingly and then push pull the divided surfaces right away

Feb 28, 22 10:12 pm  · 
 · 
jameswalker

Use the SplitFace command to split the face of a polysurface using a curve. You can then select individual subobjects of a polysurface using ctrl+shift. After selecting the given face or vertex you can move or extrude that surface as needed, its especially fast to do this using the gumball.

Mar 18, 22 2:55 pm  · 
 · 

The tools are in the Solid Toolbar withing rhino, specifcally the wirecut tool.

Mar 18, 22 4:43 pm  · 
 · 
newguy

My guy,

just learn rhino:

"Polyline" in top mode allows you to draw to your hearts content.  You can also draw in front/back/right if you want to start "thinking" in section, which is useful when extruding and sweeping things like mullion details

"Close" turns every polyline into a closed pline

"Extrudecrv" allows you to turn every closed pline into extruded planes

"Cap" puts a floor and roof on every joined extruded plane

"Moveface" allows you to push pull just the same as sketchup

You can then draw plines on every face of your new geometry, extrude that geometry, and use the "Split" command to divide your geometry and create voids.  You can even use "Dupfaceborder" to get linework from any planar surface you just created and "offset" it in plane to get parallel linework to extrude and split as much as you desire

Congrats, you are now as rhino proficient at the same level as you likely are in sketchup.

And when you really want to level up, you can learn to manage layers so that you can export quickly and efficiently linework that is derived from your geometry directly into Autocad (hint, use standard autocad colors --red, yellow, green, cyan, blue, magenta, etc -- so that you can have your autocad penstyles plot exactly the lineweights you want directly from your rhino exports....i.e, draw in plan with colored "Linework" layers that correspond to cad, and extrude your geometry in a "Geometry layer" that corresponds with render material properties.   I do this all the time early on in projects and usually demand my teammates follow this workflow and it saves us a ton of time.

And beyond that, you can start using "rhinoinside" plugins to get geometry quickly into revit

Mar 2, 22 1:16 pm  · 
2  · 
proto

to add: know the subelement selection quick key CMD-SHFT-leftclick/drag {mac} or CTRL-SHFT-leftclick/drag {win}

Mar 2, 22 1:51 pm  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: