Archinect
anchor

Architect background personal statement

oliviazielinski

I went to undergrad for architecture and have decided to go to law school. I have always been passionate about both (please don't ask me why, I have no idea, hence why I am struggling). Since working in the architecture realm I began to dislike it and needed a change that will have an impact on people's lives in a less passive way. Anyway... does anyone have a good idea for a personal statement topic to write for law school? I am looking at social justice law or something along those lines and I started writing about gentrification and it just isn't hitting right and sounds like a cliche SJW. I feel like there is a more powerful way to go about it but my brainstorming has led me nowhere. Any help is crazy appreciated. Thanks in advance!!!

Feb 12, 22 10:05 pm
Wood Guy

I understand that younger generations are much more inclined than us old fogies to crowd-source as a first step, but this is hilarious. You are literally trying to crowd-source a personal statement from a group of strangers in a field you have decided you don't want to be part of. What part of that sounds wise to you? 

My real advice is that if you can't articulate WHY you aren't happy with architecture, WHY law appeals to you, and WHY you "have always been passionate about both," you should not be making any changes to your current situation. 

Feb 13, 22 9:50 am  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

"...I have always been passionate about both (please don't ask me why, I have no idea, hence why I am struggling)."

"does anyone have a good idea for a personal statement topic to write for law school?"

No.  Do you own fucking work.  If you're really that clueless about why you're so passionate about something, then you don't have passion at all.  Start with that, then perhaps look at something less difficult like communications or philosophy majors.

Feb 13, 22 9:58 am  · 
4  · 

"passionate about both - please don't ask me why, I have no idea"

That is your personal statement. 

I think Arby's is hiring.

Feb 13, 22 10:09 am  · 
3  · 

A more gentler approach- Do some research. If you think there's more to it than gentrification, figure it out. You might even learn the switch isn't fields but offices..

But if you want random people to give you the right answer to get into the school you want to apply to, what makes you think you'll be able to make change and impact- without repeating what you already dislike?

Feb 13, 22 10:39 am  · 
2  · 
msparchitect

Why would you ask a bunch of people who studied architecture what to write to get into law school? They're so very different. 

Feb 13, 22 1:56 pm  · 
1  · 
monosierra

... I hope you're hitting up law school applicant forums cos law school admissions are looking for different stuff compared to architecture schools admissions

Feb 13, 22 3:50 pm  · 
1  · 
x-jla

Yeah, no.

Feb 13, 22 6:20 pm  · 
1  · 
midlander

i think you've already written enough to make your idea clear - you want to help build a more equitable society, and you see law as the most direct way to improve the cities and places we live. this makes plenty sense and is a solid purpose.

it's also different from the handful of architect-lawyers i've known, who all got into construction litigation and contract law related to design services. whereas your interest connects towards planning and public policy.

so just write about this, and where you see the importance of law in shaping beneficial results for society. no need to get into the details how you would deal with gentrification or anything specific, just explain broadly why you feel it necessary to study law and how your experience in architecture can be relevant to that purpose.

i actually think you have a good instinct in this and admire your willingness to deal with the problems at their source instead of becoming another idiot architect proposing shipping container homes or 3d printing to solve socio-economic issues. good luck.

Feb 13, 22 7:42 pm  · 
 · 
gregbrenton

Hi Everyone, I am very new to this forum and i want to get the news and updates of Architectural Design Service via this forum. Hoping to expand my knowledge base about the Architectural Design Service Las Vegas.

Mar 1, 22 6:45 am  · 
monosierra

Hello Mr. Roboto

Mar 1, 22 8:23 am  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: