Archinect
anchor

University of District of Columbia Master of Architecture

amsams99

Does anyone have any insight on the UDC M.Arch? I have found very little information online. I've contacted admissions for the program as well but I was wondering if anyone is familiar with the program?

I am local to the DC area with a non-arch Bachelor's and the UDC M.Arch is the most affordable in the area. I know UVA is the better school but it isn't really practically feasible for me.

Jan 30, 22 2:44 pm
Volunteer

Set up residence in Maryland and apply after residency is obtained. College Park is a burb of DC if you have a job there. My wife got her undergraduate degree from the University of Maryland (although not in architecture) and her graduate degree from Johns Hopkins. She liked Maryland better. Fear the turtle.  

Feb 2, 22 11:02 am  · 
 · 
dominiond

Kudos for considering one of the oldest HBCUs for an arch degree! More people should consider it as it is one of the most affordable programs in the nation- the other program you might consider is Howard University.

That being said, UMD or UVA will be considered more prestigious by many companies which really is unfortunate because it just perpetuates classism in Architecture.

Good luck-

Feb 2, 22 10:22 pm  · 
 · 
dominiond

Meant to add- if your portfolio is solid, and you can demonstrate that you have other skills/character traits besides just design in your portfolio, more thoughtful companies will not care where you went to school. Personally, I always look for if a person went to school and worked

Feb 3, 22 6:47 am  · 
 · 
dominiond

part time/full time at the same time because that requires real life time management skills or if they volunteered for a certain philanthropy because it shows you have interests outside of design and want to have impact in other realms of life or if a person was a team leader in a sport or created a community project because that also shows initiative/leadership and collaboration skills. A good company can always teach software and design best practices, it is more difficult to teach community-minded attitudes, collaborative skills and initiative.

Feb 3, 22 6:53 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: