Archinect
anchor

Revit vs. ArchiCAD

qwerty_

Hi everyone,

We were taught to use Revit at my school to draw floor plans, sections, and elevations. But lately I find it too restricted (Due to the fact that it's a BIM based program). So I was thinking about self-learning ArchiCAD.

I know that ArchiCAD is a BIM based program as well, but my question is: is ArchiCAD very similar to Revit? Is it a bit more flexible than Revit or pretty much the same?

Dec 3, 18 4:49 am
archiwutm8

Whatever your firm uses.

Dec 3, 18 5:25 am  · 
 · 
randomised

For engineering: Revit, for architecture: ArchiCAD?

Dec 3, 18 5:43 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

learn both but revit for the win. 

Dec 3, 18 6:02 am  · 
 · 
randomised

learn both and take a job in an office that uses Vectorwork, you'll probably go nuts.

Dec 3, 18 11:04 am  · 
 · 
G4tor

Self learning Vectorworks is surprisingly not difficult...

Dec 5, 18 6:21 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

Revit for the win.

Aug 27, 19 9:42 am  · 
 · 
@work

"BIM-based"  BIM is building information modeling - you can BIM in Sketchup...  

I've used both Revit and ArchiCAD in different jobs.  They both have their faults and their pluses.  Switching from Revit to ArchiCAD isn't going to be the magic bullet that makes you a better architect.  IMO, learning how to fight either program to wrangle it to do what you want is more of what should be focused on.  I really liked ArchiCAD and miss some features but I'm glad I don't have to do everything in CAD these days.  I've frequently heard "I can't do that in Revit" when it can, it just takes some thought and knowledge and Google-ing.  

Dec 3, 18 11:39 am  · 
 · 
qwerty_

thank you for the comment.

I think you mentioned a good point in telling the program what you want to do, rather than the program telling us what should be done. I guess that's what i am struggling with.

Dec 5, 18 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

What about it do you find restrictive? 

Neither software is more or less "restrictive" than the other, but like all tools, there are advantages and weaknesses inherent in both.

That said I doubt you'll find in ArchiCAD what you're missing in Revit. 

Dec 3, 18 12:58 pm  · 
 · 
qwerty_

I don't feel I can design as want.

Dec 5, 18 2:56 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

I wouldn't recommend "Designing" in BIM. Design on paper (or whatever 3D computer equivalent of 'paper' best suits you), document in BIM.

Dec 5, 18 5:56 pm  · 
 · 
Almosthip7

OH NO... I use Revit to design buildings for my clients everyday. Have I been doing it wrong for y ears?

Dec 5, 18 6:37 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

I don't know, are your designs any good?

Aug 27, 19 9:44 am  · 
 · 
adi_31

Discussion helped here to clear the topic of Revit vs Archicad

Dec 7, 18 7:42 am  · 
 · 
randomised

No it didn't

Dec 10, 18 4:33 am  · 
 · 

ArchiCAD is more flexible, especially in 3D. However as a whole I definetly prefer Revit; especially when it comes to putting together CDs. My current firm is hopefully making the switch from Archi to Revit next.

Dec 13, 18 1:31 pm  · 
 · 

I wouldn't despise archicad so much if you didn't have to deal with layers (especially layers) and reserving things.

Dec 13, 18 1:58 pm  · 
1  · 
littleboxes

I agree with this so much. Also the fact that coordinating with anyone else is a nightmare.... Because... They are all using Revit. And the families vs. Objects. I don't want to need to learn code to make a chair.

Aug 27, 19 1:00 am  · 
1  · 
littleboxes

Similar? Yes, they are both BIM. People will say AC is more, "flexible," but they are mostly referring to the ability to fly in 3D perspective similar to SketchUp. IMO design on paper or in SketchUp. It also has Boolean tools which are cool. If you try designing in either program, the model will eventually be trashed anyway to start DD's/CD's. And at that point Revit is a marathon ahead. Keep in mind only about 2-5% of the time one is designing in this industry. And they are usually 50 years older than you and use markers on trace paper.

Aug 27, 19 12:58 am  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

2-5% spent on designing?  Maybe in your role but as a project whole I'd say that all of SD and 30% of DD is spent designing.  That's without getting into the debate about weather or not detailing is considered designing ( I think it is).  

Aug 27, 19 9:48 am  · 
 · 
littleboxes

2-5 was very low. It was also very late when I wrote that haha.. I wouldn't say any higher than 15-20% in SD's. The line between DD's and CD's have blurred since the introduction of BIM. Design happens throughout the entire process sure, but the majority happens in the first 15%. And we all know these figures vary drastically from project to project and firm experience with project types.

Aug 27, 19 10:04 am  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

Fair enough.

Aug 27, 19 10:15 am  · 
 · 
sp429

I've only used revit for the past six years for documenting. Sketchup / Adobe Suite for renders and presentation. Worked in San Francisco / NYC. Most firms want Revit / Autocad / Sketchup / Rhino.

Apr 8, 20 9:48 am  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

I haven't used AutoCAD in seven years, only Revit.  That being said you need to know how to bumble around in AutoCAD just in case. 

Apr 8, 20 9:56 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

we're 50/50 between CAD and Revit. I'm the revit guru here and currently using some of the quiet time generated by the current zombie apocalypse to put in some work on our office templete/bim rules. We already have something like it for CAD and as simple as fuck as it is, we can't get any of the staff to care or follow it. I know this BIM template is a loosing battle, but at least I'm trying to kill bad habits before the masses pick em up.

Apr 8, 20 10:15 am  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

Yeah standards are fun since there are so many to choose from!

Apr 8, 20 10:59 am  · 
2  · 
littleboxes

@Chad Soooooooooooo true. I hate being asked about standards. hahah, so many out there.

Jul 12, 20 10:33 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: